SCRAPING AN OLD OR BROKEN PC/LAPTOP?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by something back, Apr 5, 2015.

1. something back

something back

SCRAPING AN OLD OR BROKEN PC/LAPTOP?

Remember your old harddrive if working could act as your new independent back up
    device.

You can obtain an external harddrive caddy, at little cost, around $10 or £5 or less.

Type harddrive caddy into ebay.

This this free program “AOMEI Partition Assistant” can help you do a clean format
    for you old drive.

http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html

Once you have your old drive ready to go, these programs below will help you to
    backup your files or even your “whole system,dependant on the size of your old drive”

http://www.backup-utility.com/onekey-recovery.html

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    something back, Apr 5, 2015
  2. something back

Sefie

I was thinknig of selling this old laptop am currently using once I leave the country, but I might try what you suggested. But is this really a trustworthy way to back up files? I've been thinking of getting an external hard disk soon, but the price is what is stopping me.

Sefie, Jun 19, 2015
  3. something back

something back

Use your old drive Selfie

An external hard drive caddy is quite inexpensive,have a look at ebay
    just try in “external hard drive caddy”

Also if your new laptop has an internal cd/dvd drive then you can get a
    hard drive caddy that fits into the slot where the dvd drive fits into.

The dvd drive is easily removed to allow you to use it,it's easy to swap them back
    at any time.

http://www.laptop-forums.com/thread...op-users-with-an-internal-cd-dvd-drive.24951/

something back, Jun 19, 2015
  4. something back

Connie858

I've never had an issues with reliability in old drives removed from laptops and put into caddies and I would much rather use a disk this way than sell it to someone even wiped of all my data because as an IT Engineer I know how easy it is to recover data from hard drives and as far as I am concerned it is simply not worth the risk selling it with a drive in it that you have used.

Connie858, Jun 21, 2015
  5. something back

something back

it's a good point you will stop the risk of someone else using your old data.

something back, Jun 21, 2015
  6. something back

Sefie

Thanks, you have made a really great point. I didn't know it was that easy to recover everything, I am glad to know this! I am going to ask my friend more details on how to do this (hard drive used to store data), so I can actually use it that way instead of buying one of those expensive external hard dries, at least for now.

Sefie, Jun 28, 2015
  7. something back

Connie858

All you need is a matching caddy for it. A caddy is an external case. So a laptop hard drive is a 2 1/2 inch hard drive (HDD) usually SATA nowadays, but there is a small chance of it being IDE which is the old style connector. The SATA connection is a really small cable about 1/2 inch in width, an IDE cable is much wide... perhaps 1.5 inches? I can't quite remember for a laptop now. Anyhow if you look for an external laptop caddy you will see loads and loads of them on places like amazon and ebay. Some screw together (better quality) others don't, some will set you back $50 others will set you back $8. All will have a simple connector to connect the hard drive to and then slot together. A standard micro USB cable usually connects it to your laptop.

You will want to format the hard drive (right click it in my computer and select format) to clear off the old data and then it will be ready to go to use as a backup device. I suggest you click quick format, it will make life a lot quicker... It is really very easy once you know what connector your old hard drive is.

Connie858, Jun 29, 2015
  8. something back

IcyBC

Whoa..who would have thought to use an old hard drive this way? I am going to try my best to do this but first I will have to look for a caddy. I am assuming that the hard drive must still be in good shape in order to use it this way? My old laptop hard drive was bad according to the repairman, but he is not a trustworthy man anymore.

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2015
Ask a Question