Samsung NP-RV510-A05US No Boot - Motherboard Or CPU?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by housej55, Jun 12, 2013.

1. housej55

housej55

Hello,
    I have a Samsung NP-RV510-A05US that has a 2.3ghz Intel Processor. Lately the laptop started just shutting off on its own and it progressively got worse. Fan was always running and never felt hot. Power adapter jack in unit is solid and when I plug it in, the charging light immediately comes on. I did try another power adapter but same results which now are nothing. Just the light comes on when plugged in, nothing turns on at all when I press the power switch.
    Since the motherboards are expensive for this model, I'm wondering if I should try replacing the processor first. No matter what I do, nothing powers up, no drives, nothing just dead.
    What i have done is, hold the power button down for 30 seconds while battery is out and no power connected, reseated the ram, and took out the hard drive.
    Here is a video of what I'm experiencing.
    Samsung startup issues
    [ame]

Thanks in advance

housej55, Jun 12, 2013
  2. housej55

something back

Power on and PRESS F2 in the boot section is the harddrive listed?
    looking at your video, it looks as if you just need to reinstall the operating system?

Download a linux operating system off the internet load it on to a cd then run the cd IT'S ANOTHER WAY TO TEST .

something back, Jun 12, 2013
  3. housej55

housej55

Hello, thanks for your response. I'm afraid, we are much farther than that. I purposely left the hard drive out, as you can see in the video, it only stays on that operating system not found screen for a few seconds, then it automatically shut down. Any booting after that rendered useless.

housej55, Jun 12, 2013
  4. housej55

something back

Usually pressing the F10 KEY AT POWER ON allows you to boot from an alternative
    boot device give that a try to see if it lists the cd drive

if so then look on the net for a program called SUPER FDISK This program will allow you to
    format the harddrive. It may possibly be a virus stopping you.

5. housej55

something back

Your system is booting into the motherboard settings, leave it on the settings
    for a while dont exit from the settings if the computer stays alive then it's
    more than likely a problem on the hard drive. You can take your time to
    look through the menus to see if the ram and hard drive are listed in the motherboard settings.

6. housej55

housej55

Given the fact the core issue here is seeing why the laptop will not stay on, its irrelevant what boot device is booting to. I'm just trying to find out why the laptop is shutting off which is shown in the video

housej55, Jun 12, 2013
  7. housej55

something back

Your video shows you exiting from the motherboard settings straight to the hard drive.

This is where the computer is stopping at the hard drive

8. housej55

housej55

Yes, but did you notice after it automatically shut off, I couldn't boot it up any more? The lights just flicker and never gets back to even post any more. If I didn't have this main problem shown in the video, I could reboot it over and over again and it would just stop at the Operating System not Found because there is no drive in there which is what I would expect. Also I could just leave it at that prompt for hours, but the unit automatically shuts off as seen in the video.

Thanks for your responses

housej55, Jun 12, 2013
  9. housej55

something back

Last thoughts

Computer problems can be varied, another approach you may want to try is to remove the hard drive then turn it on without the harddrive,it should be showing the motherboard settings without the need to press additional keys at power on. If it does and stays on then it still points to the hard drive being the problem.

If not, then it could be a ram problem or something more serious.

The motherboard is autonomous to other hardware if it works, and shows at startup, then it's usually a case of trying to eliminating one part at a time.

The main culprit being the hard drive or ram holding a static charge.

10. housej55

housej55

Hello, this test was with the hard drive out. I have never had a computer go right in to the bios settings when a hard drive was not in a pc or laptop, but that is just my experience. You always have to press the assigned key from that manufacturer to get in to Bios.

I'm thinking like you said, something more serious. The computer booted up fine when it was stone cold after sitting a few days with the hard drive in and memory inserted. I was in the OS for about 5 minutes before it shut down on its own. I think I'm back to a heat related issue. I'll check tonight since its been sitting and see if the fan even comes on at all when I power it up.

Thanks again

housej55, Jun 12, 2013
Ask a Question