Safe to use on bus?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Liquid_Turbo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Liquid_Turbo

Liquid_Turbo

Hi, just got my AAO with HD, is it safe to use on a bumpy bus ride? Will I be damaging the hard drive? If someone could chime in, that would be great.. :D

Liquid_Turbo, Jan 22, 2009
  2. Liquid_Turbo

Master Mike

How bumpy do you mean, like so bumpy that you need to wear a seat belt or hit a pothole every so often bumpy? IMO, unless your driving down a unmapped, dirt road at high speeds, you should be fine! ;) If you happen to be transferring a 4GB file, this wouldn't be recommended, but who transfers files that big while riding on the bus; I'm guessing you'll be using it for typing word documents or playing games?

Master Mike, Jan 22, 2009
  3. Liquid_Turbo

Liquid_Turbo

yes exactly just using it to watch movies or type documents. worried about the motions of the bus harming the computer..sounds like it will be ok?

Liquid_Turbo, Jan 22, 2009
  4. Liquid_Turbo

gokgokgoker

Yeah you should be fine. The major killer of laptop hard drives is drops. Quick, sudden acceleration is what kills them.

Although I think the hard drives of today are actually pretty robust. I think your screen is far more fragile. A dropped screen is sure to crack and be unusable.

gokgokgoker, Jan 22, 2009
  5. Liquid_Turbo

carlos_arias1

like he said, DO NOT DROP IT!!! on a bus is ok, I've used mine on buses already, i have the HD one too, if ur not planning on entering the WRC (world rally championship) and watching movies at the same time i believe everything is going to be fine.

carlos_arias1, Jan 23, 2009
  6. Liquid_Turbo

steven.chien

I sometimes use it on the bus, I am not so worry about the disk because i am having the SSD version, but if you got the HD version, I recommend you not to do so as the bus is moving, vibration may damage the drive, and Quick, sudden acceleration may occur any time, such sudden acceleration may threaten you own safety too(because you are concentrated to the notebook!)!

steven.chien, Jan 24, 2009
  7. Liquid_Turbo

jackluo923

LOL. The netbook user is more vulnerable to the sudden acceleration than the netbook's hdd. AAO's hdd can sustain around 50Gs. A human will be crushed to death if he/she is subjected to 10Gs.

jackluo923, Jan 25, 2009
  8. Liquid_Turbo

Dave in Eugene

Socialized transportation is generally not safe, for your HD or your kazoo.
    One should accessorize with that in mind. Something in .38 Special or 9MM Parabellum would be safe enough for most buses, or .22 Mag in a pinch. There's dudes out there who'd just laugh at a .25 ACP.

Dave in Eugene, Jan 25, 2009
  9. Liquid_Turbo

Paisley Pirate

Dave,
    The first thing that popped into my mind was from Firefly, when Inara is talking about how all good petty criminals know that the small caliber guns go to the right of the place setting!

Jackluo,
    A human cannot take more than 10g's SUSTAINED. NOT instantaneous. A good car wreck can give you 50g's, and you can walk away from it (more or less)...

The 50g rating on a hard drive is an instantaneous rating, not a sustained rating. Your computer will indeed take more sustained g's than you will... but it doesn't like instantaneous acceleration... it likes it less than you do...

Hope that makes sense...

Paisley Pirate, Jan 27, 2009
  10. Liquid_Turbo

bdavison

Have no worries about using your AAO on a bus. Ive used laptops in buses, airplanes, on a beach, on boats, and even in a bouncing landrover on dirt road on a safari.

Dont worry about it, unless the bus hits something in a crash, there's little chance of it hurting your computer. And if the bus does hit something, youve got more stuff to worry about than the AAO.

bdavison, Jan 29, 2009
Ask a Question