Safari Web Browser Crashing For Many - Here's How to Fix It

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Sefie, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

If Safari Web browser is crashing on your iPhone, iPad, or Macintosh computer, you're certainly not alone. A bug in Safari is affecting several people worldwide, either by slowing down the Web browser or completely crashing it.

Several users are reporting issues when opening tabs, and when trying to type in a new address. Clicking on the address bar freezes the computer, many note. Steven Troughton-Smith, an iOSdeveloper says the bug is related to Safari's search suggestions.

Apple is yet to acknowledge the issue (the status page on the Website reports no issues), let alone give the reason behind this weird problem or provide a patch for it just yet. In the meantime, you can try the following workarounds to avoid the issue.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/safari-web-browser-crashing-for-many-heres-how-to-fix-it-795069

Sefie, Jan 28, 2016
  2. Sefie

PingPongCall

I'd like to make a joke here about avoiding Apple products, but it's not like firefox and chrome don't have the same problems. If not now, then certainly in the past.

PingPongCall, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Sefie

IcyBC

I read online about this issue a couple of days ago, and although my Safari seems to act strange, it didn't crashed. I only have problem when I am on Amazon website, it freezes and nothing loads but I thought that it was Amazon itself, as I am still having problem with Amazon whenever I am on it.

I am glad they fixed it!

IcyBC, Jan 29, 2016
  4. Sefie

djtech

Yeah. It kept crashing. BTW, I then installed UC browser. You should try it, its really fast.

djtech, Feb 1, 2016
  5. Sefie

IcyBC

Thank you for sharing this, and I will have to check it out. I just install Chrome on my MacBook, but I don't use it as often as when I was on Window. I am trying to get as used to and as comfortable with Safari as I can.

However, I also so learned that having different browsers available save the day too :)

IcyBC, Feb 1, 2016
  6. Sefie

fcuco

It may be actually a bug, it may be the legendary planned obsolescence that they claim exists, but if you are stuck with an iDevice that can't be updated beyond iOS 5 like the first iPad you can kiss safari goodbye because it will never work beyond the most basic websites. Anything that has a little javascript will crash the thing over an over again, so, your best bet, is to disable javascript altogether from safari and miss all the functionality that javascript brings (for better or worse).

They also claim that this is a RAM problem since the original iPad had like 124 megs or something like that, yet, alternative browsers like opera work without crashing all the time.

fcuco, Mar 31, 2016
  7. Sefie

spence88

Hm. This has never happened to me before. Does it happen only when you open certain sites, or does it just crash randomly?
    I'm surprised that simply turning off 'Safari Suggestion' will fix this problem.

I'll say this at the risk of sounding like an arrogant, having an iDevice that can't be updated to iOS 5 isn't worth keeping. We have one, and it's absolutely useless. Can't run most apps because they need to be updated and if I install the update they will crash immediately upon opening.

spence88, Apr 1, 2016
  8. Sefie

fcuco

I mean, you are right, an iPad first generation is basically a brick by now, or simply just a very big iPod with no apps, but that's the thing, that's unacceptable, I can fire up some of my 20 year old computers and they are going to run the same software that I had back then, that's the trap of the Walled Garden software distribution thing, apps are updated, they stop working on older operating systems and no legacy version is made available so you can continue to use your device. I am not even taking about apps that depend on online based APIs, but simply apps with no internet connection needs that I should be able to use even if they are not supported anymore. That's why I refused to upgrade to a later tablet.

fcuco, Apr 1, 2016
  9. Sefie

spence88

Yeah I agree, that could be one of the reason why tablets or smartphones just get depreciated so fast. It isn't funny. A thousand dollar Nokia phone 5 years ago is not worth a cent today. Although we might see an improvement with the latest generation of smartphones, given the massive computing capability of their chips. We'll see, only time will tell.

spence88, Apr 2, 2016
  10. Sefie

rz3300

I am not really sure what it is but I have never trusted Safari as a browser. I have had my issues with it in the past, and on top of that I just do not really enjoy using it, so I have chosen to move on. I am sorry to hear news like this, but it does make me glad that I switched. It is a matter of personal choice though, and I hope that anyone using it can fix their issues.

rz3300, Apr 2, 2016
Ask a Question