Running Operating System from SDHC slot??

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by konsole, Sep 2, 2008.

1. konsole

konsole

Hi,

I am a real newbie to the Aspire One, in fact, mine doesn't get here until tomorrow. Just bought it through J&R in the US for $329 plus $15 for 2 day shipping (since my local Circuit City ran out).

I bought the 8GB SSD Linux model. I want to know if I can install different operating systems to different 8GB SDHC Class 6 SD cards, and boot from them when I don't want to use the Linpus Version of Linux?

I am currently in college and have to run some Windows only software, so I would like to be able to install Win XP (or a lite version of it) to an 8GB SD card, and be able to pull the card when I don't need XP. Or possibly play around with a 8GB OSX card, or Ubuntu, or others.

I guess my real question is, can the Aspire One boot from the expansion slot, or does it have to boot from the SSD card inside the unit?

Also, if you can run the OS's off the SDHC Class 6 card, how is the performance compared to the internal SSD 8 GB?

Thanks for you help, looking forward to getting this little baby tomorrow.

-Konsole

konsole, Sep 2, 2008
  2. konsole

goofball

Pretty sure you cannot boot from the SDHC slot.

goofball, Sep 2, 2008
  3. konsole

sideways

You can't boot from either sd card slot.

There may be a bios update to fix this, but not at the moment :(

This is very poor imho, I guess it adds support to the rumours that the Aspire One was rush released before really being ready.

Even the original Asus eee pc can boot from an sdhc card.

sideways, Sep 2, 2008
  4. konsole

MusicMeister

You CAN boot from a thumb drive however... :mrgreen:

Look for information on botting to XP from a thumbdrive (it's based on BartPE). It's not a 'perfect' solution... but until my 150 shows up later this month I'm tempted to try it on my existing 8G...

MusicMeister, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question