Running Linpus Linux Lite in a Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by madwoolything, Aug 14, 2008.

1. madwoolything

madwoolything

I've been using Ubuntu for approx 12 months and have gained some experience with the Debian based Ubuntu Linux.

I'm waiting for a Linux version of the Acer Aspire One to be delivered and thought I would download and run Linpus Linux Lite in a Virtual Machine on my main desktop to start to become familiar with the operating system.

I have a copy of the live CD from the Linpus website running successfully but it does not appear to allow you to install the operating system, only run from the live CD. Can it be installed? I've been unable to find much in the way of user documentation.

I've also noticed that the version on the Acer appears to be somewhat different?? Is this the case? Is it possible to download the same Linux operating system as on the Acer?

I'd be grateful for any help.

madwoolything, Aug 14, 2008
  2. madwoolything

Wicked

The Linpus that comes with the One is very limited, there's nothing you need to learn in advance.

If you unlock the advanced options you basicaly get a very optimised version of Fedora 8 with Xfce instead of Gnome.
    Again if you're familiar with Ubuntu you'll find your marks in no time. The main difference is the package manager used. But as there's a graphical interface you don't even need to learn how to use the command line "yum" to install / remove programs. You'll also find all the howtos you need, right here.

So, no need to worry, it's all very simple yet very powerful !

Wicked, Aug 15, 2008
  3. madwoolything

madwoolything

Many thanks ..... I'll give the Linpus operating system a try and will then probably eventually switch to Ubuntu or Linux Mint once the hibernation problem has been cracked.

madwoolything, Aug 15, 2008
  4. madwoolything

madwoolything

Linpus is actually pretty good OS ..... so far I've managed to do all that I want to by 'tweaking' the existing OS .... thanks to the great advice in this forum!

madwoolything, Sep 6, 2008
  5. madwoolything

scottro

There's a few things you can do with Linpus--you will find, if you're sharing the machine with say, spouse, parent, child or whatever, that they set it up rather well for the beginner.

On the other hand, there's lots of limitations, though most are easily solved. NetworkManager is an older version, which doesn't work with WPA2 corporate (though it works fine with personal). There are various people who've posted scripts to update NetworkManager to solve that.

It's not really designed to be multi user by default. This can be fixed by adding the new user to the wheel group and editing console.perms.d/50-default.perms (or whatever it's called, I've forgotten).

A great deal depends upon your plans for it.

scottro, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question