"Run Program" in desktop [Solved]*

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Carlios, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Carlios

Carlios

Hello.

I'm fairly new to Linux, I'm using Linpus, and I'm looking for a way to add the run program icon on the desktop.

I know it is available on the right-click menu, or by doing alt+f2, but still I do want it directly on the desktop for faster access. I tried doing it the same way I add a new application, by modifying the group-app.xml file, here is the script I used.

But that does not work because I only get a blank space on the desktop, that means that someting was added to the desktop, but the information in the script is incorrect. I think that the problem is that the run program called xfrun4 is an executable file, not a .desktop file, my guess is that the script xfrun4 is missing an extension, but I don't know which one...

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Carlios, Sep 4, 2009
  2. Carlios

Carlios

Re: "Run Program" in desktop

Problem solved... just in case someone else wants to do it...

What I had to do was take a random .desktop file and copy it, saved it elsewhere and renamed it. You will need to change the values, to do that you need to open the .desktop file in notepad, and change:

Exec=

to the command you want to use, in this case "xfrun4" (without the " ").

I also changed the values in name (to any name you want), comment (to any comment you want it to display when you hover the mouse) and icon (to any icon you wish to see on the desktop) values.

Then just save the .desktop file back in the applications folder, change the app-xml file and add the path to the new file on it, restart the computer...

And voila! the run program command is added to the desktop. :D

Carlios, Sep 7, 2009
Ask a Question