Run Linpus in virtual machine?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by KGB, Jul 28, 2008.

1. KGB

KGB

Does somebody managed to run Acer's Aspire One Linpus-Distro successful in a virtual machine using VMware server or Virtual Box?

I tried to install the Recovery DVD for test purposes. Installing Linpus from Recovery DVD into a virtual machine went successfully. After rebooting the VM, the virtual machine hungs. All I could see was the Aspire splash screen. The NumLock and CapsLock-Lights of the keyboard are flashing after I switch over to the VM (indicates kernel panic).

After enabling text output (changing splash=silent to splash=verbose in /boot/grub/grub.conf), I got the message:

"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)."

I have checked the partion data (system partition and swap partition are there, the system parition has a boot flag and also the label is set to "linpus". And content of the system partition seems to be ok. Also all grub.conf entries seems to be ok. The VM disc is configured as ata, buslogic (so a missing SATA support could not be the reason for the kernel panic).

Any suggestions?

BTW: I managed to run Linpus Lite Live CD on this VM susscessful - and I was also able to install this version in a VM. But there obviously differences between Linpus Lite Live CD and Asus Aspire One Linpus-Distro.

KGB, Jul 28, 2008
  2. KGB

Tybor

Hi KGB,

I did the same as you and came to same results.
    If someone manages to run it in VM please post here!

gr33tz,
    Tybor

Tybor, Jul 28, 2008
Ask a Question