Rogue Menu Items Appearing

Discussion in 'Linux' started by acgreen, Sep 21, 2008.

1. acgreen

acgreen

After following some the tutorials about removing Acer IM and installing Pidgin I'm getting extra unnecesary icons of 'Back' and 'Forward' in my XCFE menu. The icons appear under several place inc 'Network', 'Office' and 'Other'. Selecting them triggers Pidgin to launch.
    Any ideas how to get rid of them ?

T

acgreen, Sep 21, 2008
  2. acgreen

Poelsa

Hi I have the same issue. anyone got an idea of how to fix?

Poelsa, Oct 11, 2008
  3. acgreen

mgmayo27

I haven't done it since I first got my Aspire One, so I don't remember the exact file names.

Use this link as a guide: https://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/08/04/howto-remove-menu-entries-from-the-system-menu/

Instead of editing the files using sudo mousepad, I just removed the files that correspond with those items that stay in the menu. The file names start with the color of the arrow. There are 2 .desktop files that have "blue" at the beginning, "orange", "yellow" and "green" if I'm correct. If you locate these files, just use "sudo rm (filename)" and that will take care of the problem.

Sorry I don't remember the exact file names, but this should help you out.

mgmayo27, Oct 12, 2008
  4. acgreen

mgmayo27

I'm running Linpus again, so I can tell you what the file names are.

First, open a Terminal and do this:

Code:
    sudo su -
    cd /usr/share/applications
    ls yellow* blue* orange* green*
    rm yellow* blue* orange* green*

I put the ls command just so you can see what all files you'll be getting rid of. If you just get rid of the .desktop items, that will fix the problem too. However, if you have no use for any of the other files, they might as well be removed.

If the items don't immediately disappear from the menu, restart and then check. They should be gone.

**Note, this will cause problems if you ever want to restore back to "Easy Mode"

mgmayo27, Oct 15, 2008
Ask a Question