Right Click, Trash, and Workspaces

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Ace_Rimmer, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Ace_Rimmer

Ace_Rimmer

Hi everyone,

Just got my new Aspire One two days ago and I am pleased beyond all expectations. I have been a Linux user for about two years and have Ubuntu running on two laptops and Maemo Linux on my Internet tablet. Having a blast exploring my little blue "One."

Just wanted to pass along a couple of things that I have found that are not totally obvious.

1. (I learned this a while back from a post in the Ubuntu forums and thought to try it on the AA1.) To right click, tap on the lower right corner of the touchpad. Seems the biggest complaint that all the reviewers had was for the touchpad butttons -- once you get the hang of tap to click and tap to right click as well as both horizontal and vertical scrolling, you almost never need to use the buttons.

2. In Thunar, go into View, Side Pane, and select Tree. Wow, suddenly you can see where the Trash is, and right click to empty it.

3. In Advanced Mode go to Settings, Workspaces and turn the number up to, say, four or six (or whatever you prefer), then use Ctrl-Alt-Right Cursor (or Left Cursor) to move between workspaces. One of my favorite Linux features, and makes it easier to manage multiple windows.

Enjoy!

"Smoke me a kipper, skipper, I'll be back for breakfast.)

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 16, 2008
  2. Ace_Rimmer

rbil

Another tip ... following on yours for doing a tap on lower right of touchpad ...

install the Addon called InstaClick in Firefox. Then tapping on the lower right on a link, will open that link in a new tab just as clicking the wheel button on a mouse does.

BTW, to get compiz working: install the package fusion-icon. After installation, you can find it in your menus. Running it, starts compiz and an icon will appear on the bar allowing one to do a number of things, including selecting the window manager one wants to use. A tap on the lower right of the touchpad opens the popup menu for that icon.

Cheers,
    Rene

rbil, Aug 16, 2008
  3. Ace_Rimmer

rbil

Another tip ... tap on the top right of the touchpad to open a listing of all that's running on the different cube sides if using compiz. It not using compiz, will let you see what's running on each workspace. Your pointer needs to be on the desktop.

Cheers,
    Rene

rbil, Aug 16, 2008
  4. Ace_Rimmer

madwoolything

Is there a way of adding a workspace switcher to the task bar?

madwoolything, Sep 6, 2008
  5. Ace_Rimmer

madwoolything

To answer my own question see this post viewtopic.php?f=39&t=736&p=5212&hilit=task+bar#p5212

madwoolything, Sep 6, 2008
  6. Ace_Rimmer

thrawn60

Thank you for all these nifty tips. I for sure was wondering where the heck the trash can was :) and in a 10Gb system you need to find that bugger :)

Michael

thrawn60, Sep 7, 2008
  7. Ace_Rimmer

champagj

Install fusion-icon

rbil,

I have been playing with compiz a bit and I need a better way to manage this thing...

Sounds like fusion-icon is the way to go but cannot find a way to install it. I search for an RPM but the one I found is missing dependancies. It's not under the add program tool..

I have not played with fusion as I am already satisfied with compiz effects

Do I need to install fusion to get fusion-icon?

Also full frame video is no good when running compiz... I'm running 512Mb but some threads seems to tell that the video driver doesnt take advantage of more Ram?

JF

champagj, Sep 25, 2008
  8. Ace_Rimmer

rbil

sudo yum install fusion-icon

Should be all you need to do to install it. It's in the repos.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 25, 2008
  9. Ace_Rimmer

eks

I've have the same problem as champagj, cannot find fusion-icon package, either on the package manager or:

I was also trying to configure compiz but the compiz-manager does not seems to be working. I've tried changing effects, cube, etc, but nothing works. I know compiz is working because of the shadows, but cannot configure it.

I have Ubuntu on the desktop so I know what I was expecting from compiz-manager... Any ideas...?

EDIT: DURH!! Wrong topic! I will open another one tomorrow after trying and searching some more. (if nobody answers this one...) ;)

eks

eks, Sep 28, 2008
  10. Ace_Rimmer

champagj

Quick update..

I was never able to install fusion-icon until I did a fresh re-load.

Under a new reload the yum install worked no problem.

JF

champagj, Sep 28, 2008
Ask a Question