Richt Mouse/trackpad button broken?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Plunter, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Plunter

Plunter

Hi All,

Got my AA1 a week ago. It's the 8gb Linpus version.
    I want to install an additional 1 Gb SO-Dimm.
    Because of the warranty i need to know one thing.

My right mouse/trackpad button has to be pushed further into the machine than the left one.
    When I release it, it just comes back like the left one. I don't know if this is normal so i hope some of you can confirm the same behaviour.
    When it's not i probably need to send it back for repairs (that's why i need to know before upgrading :) ).

Hope someone can help.

Plunter, Jul 28, 2008
  2. Plunter

chrcondor

Hi,
    I have same problem, but I think it's because the cover right from the mousebutton is standing a little bit up. I don't will send it back because of that.

BR

chrcondor, Jul 28, 2008
  3. Plunter

Plunter

Ok,

I think a lot of the owners have the same problem then.
    So no problem :)

Thx a lot for the quick response.

Gonna upgrade asap. :D

Greets,

Corné

Plunter, Jul 28, 2008
  4. Plunter

Mark83

I tested two AAO and on both the button was like that

Mark83, Jul 28, 2008
  5. Plunter

hmraao

Re: Right Mouse/trackpad button broken?

Also found that "out of the box" the right mouse button exhibits excessive travel before engaging, by which I mean that the righthand button on my apparently new aao depresses about 3mm before it clicks, whereas the lefthand button only depresses about 1mm before it clicks. Also, the amount of (right button) travel seems greater at the end closest to the keyboard. The impression that this gives is that the right mouse button isn't fixed as securely as the left and slopes from front to back when pressed. (Obviously, both keys slope in towards the trackpad when pressed.)

As I have no previous experience of this particular trackpad layout, and as other owners have noticed the same problem, this may be what some manufacturers (you know who you are) refer to as a "design feature" rather than what the rest of us refer to as a "fault."

If anyone has an example of an aao where the left and right trackpad buttons don't exhibit this asymmetrical behaviour, please, let the rest of us know (though, why you would be viewing this thread if you haven't noticed a problem, I don't know.) anyway, thanks:)

hmraao, Aug 8, 2008
  6. Plunter

Frojd

It's the same on mine. I don't like it, feels cheap... :(

Frojd, Aug 8, 2008
  7. Plunter

carterleonard

Whoa, I thought i was the only one that have this problem,... hehehe

carterleonard, Aug 9, 2008
  8. Plunter

niem102

Perhaps they figured people would press the left button a lot more than the right and wanted to make the left one last longer? With a cheap machine I can see that, but I really doubt it would cost hardly anything at all to just make the same buttons. Personally I just tap the touch pad to click so I didn't even notice until a few minutes ago.

niem102, Aug 12, 2008
  9. Plunter

starter

Hi!

My right Touchpad-Button does not work at all anymore, but it looks O. K.. Installed the new System with recovery-stick already. Fotunately no problems with USB-Mouse, all Buttons work. Does anybody have the same issue or help?

Dieter

starter, Aug 14, 2008
  10. Plunter

AlexXdude

Re: Right Mouse/trackpad button broken?

I have this exact same issue with mine as well. I searched to see if I was the only one, but it's comforting to know that I wasn't the only one thinking the right trackpad button was a little wonky.

AlexXdude, Sep 1, 2008
  11. Plunter

greim

Exactly the same problem as "starter", but with the left button.

greim, Sep 17, 2008
  12. Plunter

rjm

Ok I checked mine.

Yes, the right button is hinged slightly differently and has a slightly longer travel than the left. Not 3 mm by any measure. Less than 1 mm by my estimate, and nearly zero for the left. I would pass this as "normal"

rjm, Sep 29, 2008
  13. Plunter

Bond99

Same here. According to icon in tray, my right touch pad button is always pressed.
    So it would seem the button is somehow stuck but...it clicks when pressed.
    It's causing many issues obviously.
    Mouse works fine though.
    I'm guessing it'll be a trip to the shop I bought it from?

Bond99, Dec 6, 2008
  14. Plunter

Tarheel72

Same here, right button shows as pressed in icon. Use work around by disabling button and assigning duties to tap zones. I also lost scroll as well, which worked fine out of the box but went away when "stuck button" syndrom popped up. From posts in this thread it appears to me that this is a software issue and not a hardware issue. I say that since both buttons are randomly affected and I would think that if it was hardware it would be either one or the other. But I have no solution to fixing it. Different drivers don't seem to matter. I tried the generic Synaptics driver and it did not help. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and it did not help. I ran CCCleaner. I notice it has been around since the summer so the Bios version doesn't seem to affect it. Happens on both Windows and Linpus OS so that seems to rule that out. Hard to say at this point.

Tarheel72, Dec 26, 2008
  15. Plunter

delSol97

doh add me to the list, i just started another thread on this. :(

i feel bit better now though :)

delSol97, Dec 28, 2008
  16. Plunter

Golfyball

Add me to the list too - however, unlike the previous poster, it doesn't make me feel any better to know that other users are having the same problem....

Am I alone in thinking that it's unacceptable that a key component should malfunction to the point where the product almost becomes unusable without additional hardware ??

It's driving me nuts especially as I don't have an external mouse - surely the whole point of a device this size is not to have to carry around a bag of "extra" bits.

SO..... Ive upgraded the BIOS, tried latest drivers etc etc - to no avail..... Please Mr Acer - get it sorted or I'll have to take it back :-(

Cheers
    Golfyball

Golfyball, Dec 30, 2008
  17. Plunter

delSol97

I was in various stores today looking for a new home theatre receiver and checked out all the demo units of these I could find.

For the most part they were all similar in behaviour, though I found the left click was more loose than mine on most of the units, so it seemed less noticable ... but on all of them the right click was noticably looser/deeper/softer.

delSol97, Dec 31, 2008
  18. Plunter

kapinouwi

19. Plunter

inthewoods

My right button has the same problem (design)... I thought I had an issue until I found this post! :lol:

inthewoods, Jan 9, 2009
  20. Plunter

Peco29

OK after searching this I find out it's not just mine with the "spongy" right mouse button. I thought it was getting wore out already so I switch the configuration so I would use the options on the left button instead.

Peco29, Mar 7, 2009
Ask a Question