Retrieve software information?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by steven.chien, Aug 30, 2008.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

i am using a Linux version of aspire one,i followed the instruction n this site to enable the advance mode. when i tried to open the "add/remove software", i says "unable to retrieve software information" so i follow the on screen instruction. i connect to the internet and it worked, but i am using a 56k connection, so it never complete(too slow). when ever i try to install a software(picasa) it start to retrieve software information. what is it? can i avoid it? does that mean every time i install a software i need to connect to the internet?

steven.chien, Aug 30, 2008
  2. steven.chien

Elllipsis

The software add and remove tool basically is a way of managing your system software...it looks at your installed programs and a database of programs online to see what you have and what you can install. Sadly, slower connections can not use this system effectively and you have to download it from a website like you do on windows. The best way to do this with Linpus is through RPM packages (sorta like .exe packages for windows these are called binaries.) There is another way called installing from source which can be done difficultly but generally it is recommended you do it through RPMs. (There are other types of linux binaries such as .debs)

Here is the picasa RPM from google
    http://picasa.google.com/linux/thanks-rpm.html

Just use google or else ask on the forum again if you need another one.

Elllipsis, Aug 30, 2008
  3. steven.chien

steven.chien

thank you for you reply, i think your answer is absolutely correct, however, i think i should state clear, i download the .rpm file and when i run it, the "retrieving software information" appear

4. steven.chien

Elllipsis

Hmmm yes that is a problem since Linpus it automatically checks the respiratory and your system when installing new .rpms

I guess you could disable the respiratories since you will not using them.

Simply go to edit on the add/remove tool and uncheck all the boxes. That should shut it down...but note: it will also disable system updates which is alright because Linpus seems to rarely be updated and free from major security issues.

If you have anymore issues please post below.

Elllipsis, Aug 30, 2008
  5. steven.chien

steven.chien

well, i may try tomorrow at a coffee shop which has a high speed wifi connection.

6. steven.chien

Elllipsis

Did that not work or are you just going to wait till tomorrow? I will try to find a better solution if it did not.

Elllipsis, Aug 30, 2008
  7. steven.chien

steven.chien

i mean i will wait till tomorrow, thank you for your care

8. steven.chien

steven.chien

finally got it working!

steven.chien, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question