Restarting my AAO from the begining

Discussion in 'Linux' started by woodygrasshopper, Nov 22, 2008.

1. woodygrasshopper

woodygrasshopper

How do I restart my AAO from the beginning, as if I have just got it out of the box. Like a hard reset?
    Thanks

woodygrasshopper, Nov 22, 2008
  2. woodygrasshopper

woodygrasshopper

I have found an answer thanks

woodygrasshopper, Nov 22, 2008
  3. woodygrasshopper

McMonkeyBoy

Any chance you could post this answer? I'd like to know how to do it just incase I should make too many changes in future! :D Thanks in advance

McMonkeyBoy, Nov 25, 2008
  4. woodygrasshopper

devondave

You can do it from the recovery DVD if you have an external USB DVD Drive.

Or, from a USB stick made from the recovery DVD. I made a recovery Linpus USB stick using the DVD and my Windows Vista PC (it works fine).

If I cant get this bloody webcam working soon I will either restore the acer from it or stuff linpus and install Windows (which would be a shame really, but Linux does not do itself any favours by being dammed awkward to use).
    :)

devondave, Nov 25, 2008
  5. woodygrasshopper

Andysan

I'd read somewhere that some models may have a different webcam in, of which the Recovery DVD has no drivers for.

Andysan, Nov 25, 2008
  6. woodygrasshopper

beerglass007

Hi all

I've just brought a new ACER one. If I install Windows XP on it and then decide to restore can I use the restore DVD which came with it?

I do have a external USB DVD ROM or could make a restore USB pen using the DVD. But does this restore it back to factory settings ?

Many Thanks

beerglass007, Jan 16, 2009
  7. woodygrasshopper

markh

markh, Jan 16, 2009
  8. woodygrasshopper

libssd

Questions:

1. Is the question of USB brand resolved (i.e., it doesn't matter)? If not, which brands are known to work (Cruzer and Kensington have been mentioned elsewhere); today's Fry's ad has an 8gb Patriot flash drive for $12.99.

2. Would it be possible to use an SD memory card to make a recovery "disk" or, is this only possible through a USB connection? I'm thinking that a class 6 HDSC card would be faster than a USB flash drive, which are notoriously slow. Of course, if the SD card reader can't be used for this purpose, I suppose I could always plug an SD card into a USB card reader, but that's just one more piece of hardware to carry around (and lose). Since I expect recovery to be a rare event, this question may be moot.

3. Can I make a recovery USB from the CD that comes with the AAO using a Macintosh? Is it just a matter of copying everything to the flash drive, or do you have to run it on a Windows box to create the recovery USB?

4. Is there any problem with keeping other data on the USB? For example, all my document files through an ordinary file copy? Or a regular backup of the machine in its current state, using the approach described on Macles* ?

5. My SSO has a 16gb SSD, with ~10 gb free; I'm assuming that a 4gb or 8gb drive would be sufficient for everything.

So far, I haven't screwed anything up, but I'm starting to get more adventurous, now that I've done 1 and 3 of the "Ten Tweaks" I'm starting to know enough about this thing to be dangerous. :roll:

libssd, Jan 23, 2009
  9. woodygrasshopper

Corneilius

I used a windows machine, but you have to go into the bios (F12) and set the machine to boot from the disk drive containing the aspire one disk. I don't see any problem if you can get the mac to boot from a disk drive. once it has you are in an aspire operating system and you have two options 1 install linpus to that machine (no Obviosly) or 2 make a recovery usb stick.

On XFCE Keep well away from PANEL, I managed to delete my task bar, hence the knowledge above.

Corneilius, Jan 26, 2009
  10. woodygrasshopper

libssd

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the Panel settings, couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do, and backed out without changing anything.

libssd, Jan 27, 2009
Ask a Question