Request Howto: Fedora 10 XFCE installation.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Darryl, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Darryl

Darryl

In light of this...
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/...posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
    With the fedora 8 repos no longer being maintained, can anybody out there sort a howto on fedora 10? I managed to get it part sorted but it was very slow and the wifi signal reception was very bad so i recovered. :twisted:
    Methinks there are tweaks to sort this but it would be great to have it all in one place!
    Thanx

Darryl, Jan 19, 2009
  2. Darryl

Andysan

Hi there,

How far have you gotten with this then, and what media did you use? I copied the XFCE ISO onto a Memory Stick Pro Duo and booted via external card reader, and it was lightning fast, more so than my Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid w/Gnome on SSD. Wireless worked outta the box too.

Andysan, Jan 19, 2009
  3. Darryl

Darryl

I copied the iso to a usb and loaded it in no prob but... The system was exceptionally, horrendously, slow. I believe it may be something to do with partitions ext 3 or ext 2? The wifi reception on my aa1 at home on linpus is full range whereas after the fed10 it was about 20% with no led's working. Not to mention the lack of codecs for the media player. I just thought it might be useful if some kind soul would put together a howto as there are obviously many other tweaks that to be done and it'd be better to have them in one place to prevent repeat postings...
    Cheers

Darryl, Jan 19, 2009
  4. Darryl

Andysan

Mkay, out of interest is it only really slow both in live mode and after you've installed it, or just once installed? F10 XFCE really flies on my 8GB SSD model and i've only got 512MB RAM. Anyhows, the LED's not working is pretty much the norm, and Fedora won't come with most codecs that arent FOSS so thats normal. I can't imagine why it might be so slow though. Have you tried reintsalling?

Sorry, i've been no help at all - i second your call for anyone whos done this to put together a guide please as it seems to the "The One for The One".

Andysan, Jan 19, 2009
  5. Darryl

Darryl

Its slow after installing not in live mode. I guess i'll have to do a lot more research before i make the leap again.

Darryl, Jan 21, 2009
  6. Darryl

jeremysdad

There's a tweaking how-to in the Fedora sub-forum in the Linux section. It got all my problems sorted out, and I was a very-noob Linux user. It's the first post at the top of page one. :)

If you can get it installed, that post will sort the rest. Just read the whole thing...

jeremysdad, Feb 3, 2009
  7. Darryl

bugs1022

Not sure if i'm approaching this correctly. I'm intrested in fining out if there is any way that I can eliminate the acer screen on boot up. (The picture of 2 aspire ones and the acer logo)

bugs1022, Feb 12, 2009
Ask a Question