REQUEST: how to turn off linpus swap file use

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by guycross, Feb 22, 2009.

1. guycross

guycross

Hey, I know there is a brief thingy on macles about this, infact I will c+p it at the bottom of this post... but could someone do a "for dummies" (or should that be for dumasses) style howto for me... I don't wanna screw around with partitions you see.

Muchos Gracias.

Guy

Swap 1GB

If you got 1GB of RAM installed you can easily disable it, even with 512MB swap is rarely used. A booted system uses only about 135MB of memory. You can open the System Monitor with Ctrl+Alt+Del to check your memory usage.

First prevent the swap partition from mounting.

sudo sed -i.swap 's:/dev/sda2:#/dev/sda2:' /etc/fstab

To get that extra GB you'll have to boot Parted Magic from an USB stick. Download it from here, install a recent syslinux version, copy the contents of the zip file onto the USB stick and run the command below.

sudo syslinux -s /dev/sdb1

Boot Parted Magic, delete the linux-swap partition and resize the remaining one. Be warned that you might lose all your data if you make a mistake! The recovery tool will still work and reset both partitions.

guycross, Feb 22, 2009
  2. guycross

mulras

mulras, Feb 27, 2009
Ask a Question