REQUEST: How to copy a Program Install CD-Rom to flash drive

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by drkwc, Nov 6, 2009.

1. drkwc

drkwc

I figured I could easily install my software that is on autoplay CDs by copying folders from the CDto my flash drive and then loading them onto the Aspire One from there.

However, that doesn't seem to work. At least not for Adobe Photo Shop. I find no install.exe type file. And clicking on the autoplay.exe on the flash drive only gets me so far. To the "install program" button. Clicking it does nothing.

There is something I am not understanding.

Next, I burned an ISO of the program CD and transferred it to the Aspire. But cannot get it to open or play on the Aspire. May be wrong, but think an ISO needs to be burned to a CD and then played in a CD reader in order to open? If so, that won't work, because I don't have the CD reader.

A tutorial from some wise person who understands how to do this, that is, how to copy program install CDs to a USB flash drive in such a manner that they will actually install the program from the flash drive would be really useful for those of us who have an abundance of software that must be installed from disk and who don't have (or aren't ready to buy) an external CD-rom or DVD-rom for our cool new Acer netbooks.

Thanks,
    ken

drkwc, Nov 6, 2009
  2. drkwc

arcom

Sounds great, but where can I get the linux version of Daemon Lite? I can't find it on the Daemon web site.
    Thanks
    :?:

arcom, Nov 23, 2009
  3. drkwc

Swarvey Moderator

This is actually easier than it sounds. But when it comes to games, you may in fact run into some problems. Games usually have some form of "piracy protection" which prohibits them from running without the original media.

Create your ISO Images
    The first step is to create an ISO image of the software you wish to install on your AAO. I prefer to use UltraISO (available on the net). As this program can create and mount ISO images. It will need to be installed on both the Host computer (the one with a CD/DVD drive) and on the AAO.

Once UltraISO is installed and *cr*activated on your host computer, insert your original disk into the CD/DVD ROM drive.
    Next, in UltraISO, in the menu bar, click Tools, followed by Make CD/DVD Image. UltraISO should automatically be pointing at your CD/DVD drive. Leave all the checkboxes as they are.

Now insert your USB Flash drive into the computer. Back in UltraISO, you will see a section in the Make CD/DVD Image box which says something similar to "C:\mycd.iso". Towards the right of this is a browse button. Click the browse button and navigate to your USB Flash drive. Type in a name relevant to the disk you're creating an image of and hit OK.

UltraISO will now create an ISO image of your original CD/DVD directly onto your flash drive.

Mount the ISO Image
    During installation of UltraISO you were given the option to install UltraISO's image drive. You don't have to do this on your host machine, but it is definately needed on the AAO. So if you didn't install it, uninstall UltraISO from the AAO and reinstall with this option enabled.

Insert your USB Flash drive, comlete with your created ISO image(s)

Open My Computer on your AAO and you will see a new "CD Drive". Right click on this new drive and click on "Mount". Now navigate to your USB Flash drive and load whichever image you wish to install first.

That's it! Your done! Note:- You will have to mount each individual image to install it, the same as you'd have to eject and reinsert each CD/DVD.

Swarvey, Feb 5, 2010
Ask a Question