Request: A How To Record streaming audio

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Podus, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Podus

Podus

Does anyone know if there is a simple (linux noob) way of recording streaming audio on the AAO - I like recording some of the Radio 4 programs to listen to at a later date. I've searched the forum and played around with alsamixer but as the only two input sources are i-mic and e-mic I'm not sure if the its even possible to record the sound coming through the soundcard :?

Many thanks

Podus, Dec 11, 2008
  2. Podus

rbil

Maybe streamripper will do the job?

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 11, 2008
  3. Podus

rlwc

If your connection can sustain a stream without any dropouts or breaks, try using audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) while your streamplayer is playing. Works under both WinXP and Linux (maybe even OSX).

The way I've done it before is to launch whatever stream player I'm using (VLC, Windows Media Player, Realplayer), start audacity, set audacity to "record", start the stream, adjust the volume so it doesn't distort, stop audacity, stop the streamplayer, discard the "test" audio in audacity, restart audacity in record mode, restart the stream.

Kind of cludgy, but it works with anything you can play on your system's speakers...

RLWC

rlwc, Dec 11, 2008
  4. Podus

Podus

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will download audacity and give it a go - had delayed doing so as I thought (looking at their website) that I had to be able to select 'stereo mix' or similar in order for it to record from the soundcard, and I don't think this is possible on the AAO.

Never heard of stream ripper (on my windows laptop I use total recorder, I think) - will investigate further!

Sarah (Podus)

Podus, Dec 11, 2008
  5. Podus

Podus

Update:

No joy with Audacity - I've various combinations of 'input' and 'record', but still can't get it to record the sound coming through the sound card. I've come to the conclusion that the problem is that there is no 'Mix' channel to record from :cry: Audacity's website suggest connecting the mic and headphone sockets together with a cable - so I might try that. But its looking like the ability to record streaming audio may just not be possible of the AAO.

Podus, Dec 12, 2008
Ask a Question