Replacing the HD with a SSD

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Tarantino 5, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Tarantino 5

Tarantino 5

It may sound crazy, but i would actually like to have a SSD than a HD. Im not sure what kind to buy or what to do. Im not very hardware experience but im confident i could take apart my AAO. So if anybody could help me out with this that would be fantastic.

-thanks
    Tarantino 5

Tarantino 5, Jan 12, 2009
  2. Tarantino 5

ronaldf

Why? What advantage are you looking for?

ronaldf, Jan 12, 2009
  3. Tarantino 5

Tarantino 5

Well, i may wait until SSD are less expensive and have more space. But i would rather have a SSD because it is quieter, has no moving parts (making the AAO more durable), and would produce less heat.

Tarantino 5, Jan 14, 2009
  4. Tarantino 5

ronime

ronime, Jan 14, 2009
  5. Tarantino 5

gallasm

Would that be the same type of replacement if I already have the 8GB SSD and want to put in a bigger one? Just to be sure, I'd want to get a 2.5" SATA SSD, right? Wasn't sure if the stock HD's used the same connector (SATA) as the stock SSD's.

gallasm, Jan 14, 2009
  6. Tarantino 5

james_mtl

I have an aspire one with HD ( and yes they are sata HD ). I replaced the HD by a Patriot SSD warp V2 32G. I paid mine over 250$ but now they are around 80$ ( that's the thing with technologie ! ). I'm pretty happy with the result. It does not make much difference on the power consumption so if that's your reason for doing it, keep you HDD. For me it was more the fact that I can be rough with the poor think while working and not worry about not banging the laptop on tables etc. I program routers at customer site for living and I use my acer one for that, now I don't have to be careful when working because there is no hdd ! Transfer speed is faster then original HD and boot time is also a bit faster. And for sure there is no clicking :) !

james_mtl, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Tarantino 5

Tarantino 5

sounds good
    how hard was it to replace the hard drive with the ssd?
    there are various videos explaining how to upgrade the RAM (which i will probably do if i replace the hd)
    im not very experienced with hardware, but it doesnt seem TOO hard to take apart.

Tarantino 5, Jan 14, 2009
  8. Tarantino 5

james_mtl

It's not bad but not he easier either. Just take your time and get the right tools ( I had one screen that gave me hard time ). I did upgrade the ram as well at the same time but I'm running ubuntu and 1g is already plenty for this machine so It doesn't really make any difference for me. If you are careful and you take your time I'm sure you will do just fine.

Good luck !

james_mtl, Jan 14, 2009
  9. Tarantino 5

ronime

No. The HD models use a SATA connector and the SSD models use a ZIF connector. The two connectors are vastly different. Also, the HD models use a different design for the lower case moulding to accomodate the 2.5" hard disk cradle. In the SSD models the SSD is actually a small circuit board, significantly smaller than a 2.5" device.

ronime, Jan 14, 2009
  10. Tarantino 5

Tarantino 5

thanks for the tips
    i do have one more question though, what kind of RAM did you use?
    im actually running XP so i believe it will help me out

Tarantino 5, Jan 15, 2009
  11. Tarantino 5

james_mtl

There are several threds about ram upgrade that you can look at on this forum.
    I personally used a 1G Kingston 667Mhz ( the aao is 533Mhz but that's all my local store had in stock and it was cheaper anyway ). I remember reading that the 2g chips won't work at all.

james_mtl, Jan 15, 2009
  12. Tarantino 5

Tarantino 5

alright cool.
    it is a little frustrating that the new 10 inch AAO will be coming out soon.
    i just got my AAO for christmas. depending on how much the newer version is, i may sell this one and get the new one.

Tarantino 5, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question