Replacing Home Icon

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Kitism, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Kitism

Kitism

Hi all,

I've been interested in changing the home icon in the bottom-left corner of the screen. It bugs me because its relatively blurry and it just looks like someone's tried to bevel and glow it for all it's worth. Nevertheless, I have concocted an ingenious plan to replace this icon and finally be free of it!

.... and it turned out to not be so ingenious after all, with my sub-par linux skills.

From what I've deduced, the icons are located in /usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/actions/. (WRONG! Read below) The exact icon, I'm pretty sure, is go-home.png. What I did then, was create some snazzy icons on the main desktop and transferred them over. What I did then was transfer a go-home2.png and a go-home3.png to the icon directory. I proceeded to backup the original icon and replace the original with a modified one. This is where it starts to get a bit weird.

After I overwrote the original, it turned back to normal! Trippy? Let me explain again. I typed this into console, with root access, so I'm sure it did;

cp go-home2.png go-home.png.

What it's showing now is the original icon, which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted.

If anyone wanted to know how to change the icon, I hope this post saves you a bit of searching for the icon directory!

If anyone has insight into how I can replace the icon, because I think that Linpus is choosing to keep the original and revert back to it if it's been overwritten.

I don't know how to make it stop doing that, because I'm relatively new to Linux- any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

EDIT: Re-overwrote it and it worked, however it's actually not the right icon, so if someone could point me in the right direction as to which icon it is in the bottom left corner, that'd be greatly appreciated :)

Kitism, Sep 28, 2008
  2. Kitism

palingenesis

i know by changing some of the GNOME desktop settings you can change the way the icon looks. you can delete it all together by going into the xfce desktop settings. you can also add a start menu and other icons to the taskbar from there.

palingenesis, Sep 29, 2008
  3. Kitism

nugroho2

Don't use Go-home launcher. Use "Show Desktop" in the xfce toolbar instead.

nugroho2, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question