Replacing battery

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by vinaya, Jan 25, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

I have Compaq 510. Since the battery does not give good backup I am thinking to get a new battery. The battery currently I am using is 6 cell battery, I can use 9 cell battery on my laptop?

vinaya, Jan 25, 2016
  2. vinaya

something back

Yes you can purchase a 9 cell battery
    both amazon and ebay are listing them

Just check the voltage specs LISTED ON THE OLD BATTERY to be sure

something back, Jan 25, 2016
  3. vinaya

PingPongCall

PingPongCall, Jan 28, 2016
  4. vinaya

nytegeek

I would stick with the original battery type unless you can make absolute certain that the voltage is correct and that you wont hve heat issues from the new battery.

nytegeek, Mar 24, 2016
  5. vinaya

IBMPC8088

I second that. You may be ok to go to a 9-cell battery, but the heat generation on some of the ones that are made cheaply or are untested for your laptop can lead to fires and melted motherboards.

That happened to Dell laptops about 11 years ago for the same reasons. Dell got a batch of batteries from a manufacturer that never tested them, and then made the mistake of releasing those to customers as new batteries on laptops that they sent out to cut costs.

If you can avoid that, I would. It's up to you on what you decide, but on an older Compaq, it might be best to stick with the 6-cell unless you are seeing a 9-cell working fine on the exact same laptop model from someone else who doesn't have any issues with heat or voltage regulation.

IBMPC8088, Mar 24, 2016
  6. vinaya

vinaya

This is what I need to consider if I want to use high power battery. My laptop already had over heating problem and I don't want to worsen problem.

vinaya, Mar 30, 2016
  7. vinaya

IcyBC

There are many affordable ones on eBay, and I would go with the manufacture of your laptop. I made a mistake buying a cheap one before and it didn't last long either, so you get for what you pay, I suppose.

IcyBC, Mar 31, 2016
  8. vinaya

nytegeek

Batteries made by major recognized battery manufacturers will be just as good or better than the OEM battery provided you buy the right one. It is the cheap knock offs and the no names batteries you need to avoid. Get the right stats that match the battery you had already.

nytegeek, May 8, 2016
Ask a Question