Replacement Screws

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by danboodro, Oct 3, 2008.

1. danboodro

danboodro

Heylo. Just finished upping my RAM to 1.5gb, but had a little issue with one screw. I stripped that thing so bad to unscrew it that there was no way I could get it back in. It didn't pose a problem for me to re assemble the casing, but I would like to replace it with a new one. Anyone know where I can find a replacement bag of screws? Would also help for further modding, little screws wear down easy.

danboodro, Oct 3, 2008
  2. danboodro

woofer00

Best bet for electronics screws is Radio Shack or a BYO shop like MicroCenter.

As for stripping the heads, you should never strip the heads unless the screw was overly torqued down, in which case a drop of lubricant is beyond value. Invest in a bit kit and always always always use the right tool/bit size for the job.

woofer00, Oct 4, 2008
  3. danboodro

one2many

If you can't find it at the regular places, try www.mcmaster.com
    McMaster Carr is an on-line catalog order company with a superb collection of parts. They are a little pricey but always have stock of every part including thousands of screws and fasteners, both metric and inch.

If you don't know the specs for the screw, McMaster actually has a CAD drawing in different file formats (2D and 3D) to compare with your sample.

one2many, Oct 5, 2008
  4. danboodro

mgolby

Can someone post the specifications for the internal replacement screws so we can order the proper screw type from McMaster? It seems like the screw has a unique flat head. I would guess we would need, length, threading and head size. This would be for the internal screws you must remove to upgrade the AAO's internal memory. Thanks.

mgolby, Jul 13, 2009
  5. danboodro

jerryt

I have never measured the thread pitch, but I understand they are metric.

Aspire One 8.9" model Screw lengths for re-assembly

All measurements in inches.

6ea Bezel screws, and 3ea screws in front of case facing up. = .150 head dia X .225 long

3ea screws for CPU cooler, 1ea Motherboard screw next to WiFi card, 3ea daughter board screws, 3ea screws under the battery facing up, 4ea speaker screws, and 1ea Wifi card screw. = .173 dia head X .150 to .155 long

?ea screws under keyboard, 8ea screws for hinges to housings (upper and lower). = .150 dia head X .184 long

jerryt, Jul 13, 2009
  6. danboodro

mgolby

Sorry, I am on the McMaster Carr site and I need to know the Pitch for the threading to order the correct (threads per inch). Can you provide?

mgolby, Jul 29, 2009
  7. danboodro

jerryt

Maybe the screw list from the Service Manual would help.

jerryt, Jul 29, 2009
  8. danboodro

mgolby

The schedule helped but I found a site that had the full version of the service manual and the screws I am looking for that hold all the main components in place that need to be removed to do a memory upgrade are all the same and listed as:
    M2*3(NL) which has an ACER part number 86.S0207.001

Thanks for all your help. I think I have all I need now to order the correct screws.

mgolby, Jul 29, 2009
Ask a Question