Replace WiFi,now error code 10

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by SJester, Jun 2, 2009.

1. SJester

SJester

I have a triple booting AOA150 (XP Pro, Linux, OS X) and I replaced the Atheros with a Broadcom BCM94321MC, which goes by different names depending on the manufacturer. The driver package (Broadcom.4321.802.11n.rar) for XP seems to install but at the very end tells me that there's a problem with my hardware. Device manager says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" which generally refers to missing or corrupt drivers. Now, a few points:

1) I've tried installing the drivers from different sources. I haven't found a different driver, and all the ones I have tried give the same result.
    2) The driver package for the Dell branded one announces that it will not install because it's not running on Dell hardware.
    3) I know the card and the slot are good because it is detected and works perfectly in OS X.
    4) Other users have reported experiences ranging from 'I plugged it in and WIndows recognized it immediately' to 'I installed the drivers and it was perfect after that.' The drivers they refer to the same I used.
    5) I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the card, uninstalling the drivers and allowing Windows to find them itself, uninstalling and then reinstalling using the Install Shield package from Broadcom, and finally in desperation formatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows. It still does not work.

Any advice, suggestions, answers? I've spent about fifteen HOURS on this, and I'm stumped.

SJester, Jun 2, 2009
  2. SJester

goofball

it's possible that it is locked for specific laptop brand, i have an intel 5300 that does the same thing but works if in an IBM/Lenovo (IBM FRU).

goofball, Jun 4, 2009
  3. SJester

Tamrac

Is your XP Pro updated to the lastest service pack(SP3)? It could be the reason.

Tamrac, Jun 4, 2009
  4. SJester

SJester

I tried it with XP Pro SP3 and then wiped and reinstalled with SP2. No love.
    Yeah, I've read about it being locked to a certain brand, but how do they do that? I've kept that in mind while looking for some sort of firmware update for the card itself.
    Also I bought it on eBay and the seller stated essentially that it was a drop-in replacement, able to work on any system except Lenovo. And it does work on the Mac side.

Maybe this might help someone help me. Here's a link to the seller's description:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0199417346

About halfway down it lists in detail the cards it replaces; I've taken this to mean that it's the same chipset for all of those manufacturers. Broadcom states on their website that they don't directly sell WiFi cards, but manufacture for different companies. I've tried going through the drivers list for each of those but no joy. I read elsewhere on Aspire One forums that Broadcom offers a diagnostic tool to check if drivers were installed properly, but I have not found any program like that.
    I'm desperate; I'm downloading Windows 7 now in the hope that it might work in that. At least it will be some form of Windows.

SJester, Jun 6, 2009
  5. SJester

tbwalker

Im having the exact problem. I just put an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 in and I'm getting "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" . Did you ever solve the problem, or did you just give up and try another WIFI card?

tbwalker, Aug 7, 2009
  6. SJester

boomslang06

i replaced a wifi card in my sisters aspire one with a broadcom i think, and it work a without a problem. i'm now trying to replace it with intel 5100 draft n.

boomslang06, Aug 18, 2009
  7. SJester

henke2

I got code 10 while trying to install 3G on the second mini pci e port. it turned out to be a driver problem.

as you already was using the pci port you know it works... was a pain in the a** when installing the 3G solering the connector your self hehe

henke2, Aug 18, 2009
  8. SJester

SJester

I just put the original back in. Never got the new one to work. Might try again with another. Mystery.

SJester, Aug 21, 2009
Ask a Question