Replace bulky power cord?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Gnileb, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Gnileb

Gnileb

Hi,
    the bulky power cord (three poles) is not really portable, smaller versions exist (Germany); but without the third pole "ground", just the two necessary poles to deliver current. According to my knowledge, the "ground" is important in case of shortcut (if you have metal parts at the appliance, esp. important!). Is it necessary for operation with the aa1? Probably not.
    With a little mechanical modification (scrape or melt off) I might be able to use one of these substantial smaller cords. Of course there might be reasons to have chosen it by acer, maybe only international regualtions/rules:
    Can I do this without danger; pro and/or Cons ? Does anybody know? See picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32464420@N07/3034664787/

Regards, gnileb

Gnileb, Nov 16, 2008
  2. Gnileb

Tamrac

The 3rd prong will only be useful if you are actually plugging into a 3 hole outlet, are you? If not, the 3rd(grounding) prong has no use. The 3 wire AC cord is pretty standard. And I'm sure it's not difficult to find it in computer or electronic stores. You can of course split that 2 wire cord, and fit it thru. I don't see any issues other than the fit might not be that reliable specially if you attach and remove frequently.

Tamrac, Nov 16, 2008
  3. Gnileb

jjj

I'd also like to use a short lead with 2-pin plug for travel if possible.

Maybe someone out there will eventually dismantle a PSU & tell us what the earth is connected to ?
    There's been some speculation on other threads, but nothing is verified.

Mine is still under guarantee, so no chance of my PSU coming apart at the moment.

jjj, Nov 19, 2008
  4. Gnileb

Daball

Should be easy enough to check which contact is earth. Use a VOM and check from plug to connector. It shows me that the Micky mouse face, if you're looking at psu end of connector, is earth.

Daball, Nov 20, 2008
  5. Gnileb

MiniDrivr

Another option keeping the ground would be just just shorten that cord by cutting off the other end (wall end) and install a new cord cap at the length you want.

MiniDrivr, Nov 20, 2008
  6. Gnileb

jjj

Where can I get a cheap US spec 3 pin plug on line? (I need it sent to the UK)
    Shortening the lead & putting one of those on the end should be useful for some Asian Travel.

jjj, Nov 21, 2008
  7. Gnileb

karona

The problem is that that type of plug is designed to handle a 13 amp load, therefore the cable has to be rated for the same load, just in case some idiot borrows the cable to plug in, say, a kettle. The power brick is not connected to the earth/ground, it's 'double insulated', it's what the cable might be plugged into that's the problem

Keith

karona, Nov 22, 2008
  8. Gnileb

PeterCharles

Faced with the problem of getting a standard UK 13 amp plug and cable into a small carry case I use for my AA1, I did a Google and found a supplier of assorted power cables. Here I found a US power cable, mickey mouse to a straight US 3 pin plug and a skinny 3 pin US to 3 pin UK adaptor. I've now got a power cable that fits nicely in the carry case :D

PeterCharles, Nov 23, 2008
  9. Gnileb

MiniDrivr

How about the links to where you found the cables?

Thanks.

MiniDrivr, Nov 23, 2008
  10. Gnileb

MiniDrivr

MiniDrivr, Feb 12, 2009
  11. Gnileb

Shad0wguy

I bought one of those as well. It saves a lot of space in my backpack, though it does require me to be much closer to an outlet.

Shad0wguy, Feb 12, 2009
  12. Gnileb

Eosblue

[​IMG]

http://www.retractablecables.com/Power/ ... agodNTkCeQ

The above is another way to go (5' of cord). I think I'm going with the previous 1 footer and cutting off the ground plug. I want the ability to plug into a 12' normal extension cord for those "longer" reaches in airline terminals or hotel rooms. I realize I could just buy another converter from 3 to 2 prongs, but thats just another thing to have to carry.

A note on carrying extension cords...

A friend of mine is in the habit of carrying an extension cord in his carry on baggage. Recently he went through airport security and was pulled over by one of the brilliant TCA guys who opened my friends bag and pulled out the extension and then asked "What's this for?" as if he had a gots-you similar to a knife, etc. To which my friend replied "It's a new invention. You take one end and plug it into a wall plug and you can then plug something in to the other end like a light bulb and it'll WORK!"

I'm hoping to get a chance to do the same thing one of these days.

Eosblue, Feb 12, 2009
  13. Gnileb

Eosblue

Another option is to buy another charger with a 2 prong cord. I got one from the following website for $20. Not only does it give me a 2nd charger for another location, but it "travels" better than the monster that came with the Acer. And it's easier to plug into an extension cord for those longer "reaches" in airline terminals. The actual model:pA-1700-02. However, there seem to be a lot of chargers out there with this model number that are 3 prong units.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-Adapter-For-Acer ... dZViewItem

Eosblue, Feb 18, 2009
Ask a Question