Replace 2GB RAM Module with 4GB?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jbzspace, Sep 17, 2009.

1. jbzspace

jbzspace

Does anyone know if the 2GB RAM module can be replaced with a 4GB module?

I just got an AO751h-1351 with Vista Home Basic and performance wise it is a real dog. It probably should have been shipped with XP. My fault for not looking closer at the OS processor demands. The retailer won't accept a return unless defective. I know Vista 32 will address 3.5GB. I'm wondering if ACER's stated limit of 2GB is in BIOS and if that can be changed.

jbzspace, Sep 17, 2009
  2. jbzspace

DrNo

The 751's chipset can only address 2 GB of Ram, so there is no way to make use of more than that ;)

Besides, the limiting factor is not the amount of memory, but the CPU. Even if you added 1,5 GB (thus adding up to the maximum 3,5 GB a 32bit system can theoretically address), the system would still be "a real dog" performance wise ;)

Try switching to XP (if that's an option), runs quite smooth on the 751.

DrNo, Sep 17, 2009
  3. jbzspace

jbzspace

I'm wondering if Windows 7 would run faster on the AO751h-1351 than either XP or Vista? Anyone have experience with comparing the Windows versions?

jbzspace, Sep 17, 2009
  4. jbzspace

Drjones

For what it's worth, I have an old Dell desktop that someone gave me. It's like a 2.6Ghz P4, but only 512mb RAM.

I installed XP, and it was screaming fast.

I installed 7 on the same machine and it sure doesn't feel as snappy as XP did.

Just my experience.....

I've also read mixed reviews about 7's performance on netbooks.

Drjones, Sep 18, 2009
  5. jbzspace

SiliconJunkie

I tried 7 on mine, and although I like the UI experience, performance wise, it is more similar to Vista than XP. YMMV.

SiliconJunkie, Sep 18, 2009
  6. jbzspace

Guest Guest

I'm running 7 RTM on my 751: if you use the basic theme it works fine. If you want Aero, you may experience glitches on some situation and anyway you have to disable transparency and animation when reducing to taskbar. Although nothing, except Windows 2000 and Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs, beat XP in pure performance, 7 beats anything in ease of use, ergonomics and features. If I had to choose, I'd go for Fundamentals (the fastest) or, as I did, for 7 (the perfect all-rouder).
    Bye

Guest, Sep 21, 2009
Ask a Question