Repairing Vs Buying New

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by vinaya, Mar 2, 2016.

1. vinaya

SirJoe

What is good is still expensive. There are a lot of cheap computers on the market but very often they are limited in what they are able to do.

SirJoe, Sep 18, 2016
  2. vinaya

djtech

Sure, but what was good yesterday, is cheap today! So, in that sense, the cutting edge tech of 6 months ago is still relevant for someone who has a broken laptop.So, why not buy that instead of waiting to buy a new one or paying a premium for it.

djtech, Sep 21, 2016
  3. vinaya

Aree Wongwanlee

Yes, you always have to pay a premium if you want the latest in technology. Myself, I don't run after the latest models. That's because I have a suspicious nature. New technology tends to have bugs. So I let other people spend their money to discover the bugs. When I buy, I look for something which is one model before the latest. These are still technologically very good and prices are even better.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 21, 2016
  4. vinaya

AntonioCalcano

The best option is always to buy new if you can afford it that it because when you repair something there's a risk that it'll get broken again in the future so always go for a new one when having the money and when not try to get it repaired by a good technician.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 24, 2016
  5. vinaya

BlueText

I think the moment my repairs cost more than a new computer or laptop is the moment I stop dumping money into it. There are few exceptions when I know that the computer will work for years after it's fixed. If it's the type of computer that is always breaking, it needs to go. But if the computer has been working fine and your problems are just recent, it might be worth it to fix it and save the money of buying a new one.

BlueText, Sep 24, 2016
  6. vinaya

Aree Wongwanlee

Whether to fix it or not depends on what's broken. If it's a peripheral like the keyboard or the mouse, it's very simple to fix it. Just get a new one. If the keyboard on the laptop doesn't work anymore, just attach an external keyboard. If the touchpad doesn't work anymore, just attach an external mouse. If the CD-ROM drive doesn't work anymore, consider not using it at all. Just use the USB ports and USB drives.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 24, 2016
  7. vinaya

hades_leae

Same here, it's almost been three years for me and I haven't been having serious problems with performance, but the hardware is turning into shit. My keys are falling off, the track pad has completely became corrupted, one of the keys on it has fallen off, I had to buy a mouse and deactivate it because it holds click even when I'm not using it...the mouse would go crazy.

hades_leae, Sep 24, 2016
  8. vinaya

Aree Wongwanlee

Sounds like my previous laptop. The touchpad was gone. The keyboard was gone. Even the display was gone. Only the motherboard components were still working. So, with an external mouse, an external keyboard and an external monitor, I still managed to use it for another year. Then the power unit fried and that was the end.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 25, 2016
  9. vinaya

Vash

New laptops are fairly cheap. You can get something like a Core i5 with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD for only $500~600 these days.
    If you replace all of the components you have mentioned, then it will surely cost you $100~200. So why not get a new one instead? Other components might be working for now, but how long will they last?

If you have to keep your old laptop, I'd suggest you get a USB CD/DVD-ROM, a USB keyboard or maybe wireless. So you can actually transfer these hardware to your next computer when they are needed.

My last laptop lasted me 7 years. And it was going strong until its screen wouldn't turn on. I actually upgraded it again with a 512GB SSD just one month before it died. Good thing the SSD could be easily removed, and it is now used as an external hard drive by me.

Vash, Oct 6, 2016
Ask a Question