Removing Linux and replacing it with Windows

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Florio, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Florio

Florio

I realise that this topic has come up before, but seeing as I'm probably less experienced than other forum members in using the Acer Aprire One, I thought I'd post this anyway. Having said that, let me add that I AM a reasonably proficient computer user when it comes to my own laptop (Acer Aspire 5105WLMi), with Vista Home Premium as the OS.

Eighteen months ago I had to buy an Acer Aspire One for my six-year-old son for school, with Linux already pre-installed; he merely learned the rudiments of opening programs, sending an e-mail, playing games and opening internet etc.. This year, however, he's changing schools and at the new school will be using the computer lab, where the computers are all fitted with Microsoft Windows (probably XP).

Rather than have his Aspire One sitting in the wardrobe gathering dust, I thought I would remove Linux and install Windows XP and a decent antivirus program. But I don't really know how to go about this. I have an XP professional CD lying around here somwhere. Should I save it onto my own PC and then transfer it to a pen drive so as to be able to install it on the Aspire One? How do I remove Linux and everything on the Aspire One? Once that's done, will the netbook automatically extract XP from my pen drive and install it?

The procedure is probably very simple, but I don't want to make any irreversible mistakes and so would appreciate some simple, step-by-step instructions if someone can be bothered helping me out.

Thanks a lot,

Florio

Florio, Aug 2, 2010
  2. Florio

Swarvey Moderator

A bit more information would be helpful.
    *What model AAO is it? (so we can direct you to the drivers)
    *Does it have an SSD or an HDD? (HDD is probably better for Windows, but if it came with Linux you probably only have an 8Gb SSD which will soon run out of space under Windows)
    *Do you have an external USB DVD/CD drive? (would be the easiest way to get XP on it)
    *Do you have, or have you made a recovery disk? (if you want the changes to be reversible you'll need recovery media)

Swarvey, Aug 2, 2010
  3. Florio

Florio

Thanks for the reply, Swarvey.
    I've had to drag out all of the documentation to see the specifications. The situation doesn't look promising.
    The model is A110L, SSD 8Gb. I have no external drive. I see that the netbook came complete with a recovery DVD.
    I guess this all limits my possibility of replacing Linux with Windows, but I'd be interested in hearing what you've got to say.
    Thanks a lot,
    Florio

Florio, Aug 3, 2010
  4. Florio

Swarvey Moderator

it's definately possible, and has been done by heaps of people. Check the link in my signature about SSD useage, it'll give you a bit of an idea what you'll be playing with once XP's installed.

You'll probably need another working PC with a CD-ROM drive at least. You'll have to make yourself a bootable USB thumb drive to install XP from. It's been done several times, just search the forums.

If you have a recovery DVD then you're pretty much ready to go. Backup your data first though. Any changes you make now should be somewhat reversible, the recovery DVD (which you'll also need a USB DVD-Rom to use) shoud be able to revert the laptop back to factory settings.

Swarvey, Aug 3, 2010
  5. Florio

scotty2

If you want to install XP I suggest you check out Ron's tinyXP
    http://aspireonesoftware.wordpress.com/ ... ons-image/

What Linux is on the computer, is it the original Linpus? If you decide to stick with linux, I would recommend changing to Mint. You will probably find that any documents created on the Windows computer will be accessible on the Acer. e.g. if the school uses MS Office, Open Office will be able to use the Word, Excel etc files.

scotty2, Aug 4, 2010
  6. Florio

Florio

Thanks scotty2 and Swarvey for your very helpful replies.
    I've just checked out Ron's tinyXP, but the torrent link is no longer operative. Do you happen to know if the OS has been uploaded somewhere else?
    I'm not exactly sure which version of Linux is on the netbook. There is nothing really to save amongst the documents; it seems that the kids were just learning how to use basic commands, take photos with the webcam, write simple e-mails. etc. I have definitely decided to remove Linux and go with XP, more for practicability and familiarity than anything else. I'm sure Linux is perfectly valid, but I'm used to Windows (even my son, who's more often on my computer than on his!!)
    Florio

Florio, Aug 4, 2010
  7. Florio

scotty2

I am sure that you will find it with a little help from Google. Just be a bit careful which site you get it from.

scotty2, Aug 5, 2010
  8. Florio

Florio

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago; have just come back from holidays hence my not getting back to those who have already helped me.
    Am just wondering if Ron's TinyXP is better than a standard XP install, as I've read contrasting opinions. I have XP Professional here which I am quite happy to use, but would be interested in hearing what other forum members recommend (people who have already subsituted Linux with XP).

Florio, Aug 19, 2010
  9. Florio

Swarvey Moderator

Personally I wouldn't waste my time on these "tiny" editions. But that's because I have the time and the knowledge to build, test and rebuild my own nLited editions of Windows. Main reason being, you never know if something has been removed or added to the installation that may or may not stuff up something you wanted to do.

My suggestion, if you're computer literate and know what you want your OS to do, get nLite (it's a tiny app and a free one too) which you can very easily use to remove stuff from a standard XP install to make a smaller image. Second best for me would be to install the full original image, then use third party apps to delete the services you don't want, and the add/remove control panel to remove features you don't want, last resort for me would be using the entire standard image. It can be customised and tweaked somewhat once installed, or you can leave it be. AFAIK TinyXP is just an nLited image anyway, nothing you can't make yourself.

Swarvey, Aug 19, 2010
Ask a Question