Remix or not Remix . . .

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Imagiazone, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Imagiazone

Imagiazone

HI,

I have now a good and operational version of Ubuntu 8,04 on my AspireOne. All the tweaks applied.

I would like to test REMIX and install it over my 8,04 version.

But if I don't like it, do you think that I can easely return to "standard" Ubuntu just by removing the REMIX's packages ?

Thanks for your comments

Jean Pierre Dagenais
    Montreal

Imagiazone, Sep 21, 2008
  2. Imagiazone

fsantos

Yes it's very simple do unmark the remix. I believe it should be on the wiki too.

fsantos, Sep 21, 2008
  3. Imagiazone

thatisandwas

I've got a question about remix. Is this a fully functional Ubuntu? Is anything "taken out"? I just finally got my wifi working with a netgear usb adapter through ndiswrapper and i just want to make sure it wont affect it..

thatisandwas, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Imagiazone

scottro

From what I'm reading, it's considered, by the creators themselves, to still be moderately buggy. I don't know about wireless--I think that would more or less match whatever version of Ubuntu was being used. (I think the changes are in other aspects of the O/S, but not having tried it, I honestly don't know.)

scottro, Sep 21, 2008
  5. Imagiazone

fsantos

It's just another way to manage desktop, it wont change anything of the system.
    Just remember to kill any composite (metacity or compiz).
    And still with some minor bugs, but working in the right direction IMHO!

fsantos, Sep 21, 2008
  6. Imagiazone

silsor

Yes, it is "fully functional", in fact netbook remix is only a few packages installed over regular Ubuntu (the new desktop menu and a few panel applets).

silsor, Sep 22, 2008
  7. Imagiazone

thatisandwas

Ok so i need to disable compiz, but i have to enable metacity to do that. Do i need to get another window manager in order to get netbook remix working? how can i do this?

thatisandwas, Sep 22, 2008
  8. Imagiazone

sloggerkhan

remix is pretty easy to remove or disable. I installed it on my desktop but it didn't work so hot. So I just disable the loading of it at login.

sloggerkhan, Sep 22, 2008
  9. Imagiazone

axcairns

Netbook remix is quite stable on my AAO but I do recommend turning off compiz. You can do this by setting 'no desktop effects' in system>preferences>appearance. Metacity (which is already installed) will be enabled automatically.

Removing it is quite easy. Just substitute 'sudo apt-get remove' for 'sudo apt-get install' in the install command from the wiki. You will still need to manually reconfigure your panels to your desired layout.

Allan

axcairns, Sep 23, 2008
  10. Imagiazone

dr3as

I've been running Remix from start, just one thing to say. I Love It.

dr3as, Oct 19, 2008
  11. Imagiazone

chadster

I'm running a dual boot on my AAO WinXP Pro and OneLinux Remix. since I got the OneLinux Remix installed i totally ignore WinXP. OneLinux is stable wifi works great!

chadster, Oct 21, 2008
  12. Imagiazone

Guest Guest

The remix is just a different interface that sits on top of Gnome. It doesn't affect any real part of the OS, and disabling it is a matter of killing a process.

Also, I'd recommend just waiting the 9 days until Intrepid is released. The remix packages are in the repository. They've gotten it stable on the AAO in the last week or so (there were some graphic text glitches before that).

..but the ath5k wireless driver in 8.10 leaves a lot to be desired. Still very unstable. Stick with 8.04 and install the remix from PPA if you're worried about wireless issues (or install 8.10 and disable the ath5k driver - and recompile ath_pci).

Guest, Oct 21, 2008
  13. Imagiazone

2manydjs

You don't need not use everything. Personally I only like to use maximus and the human-netbook-theme, not the UME-launcher.
    [attachment=1:2kg3u4f4]Screenshot-1.jpg[/attachment:2kg3u4f4]
    [attachment=0:2kg3u4f4]Screenshot-2.jpg[/attachment:2kg3u4f4]

2manydjs, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question