Refubished or new?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by KLK3, May 22, 2016.

1. KLK3

Krissttina Isobe

I'm so glad I joined this forum for I learn a lot. I'm in the process of getting my first 2 in 1 laptop and tablet or notebook, with photo capabilities, with usb ports, keyboard and mouse too. Being computer literate from 2006 only, I'm so user friendly, so I got a lot to learn and learn I do at this forum. Thanks!

Krissttina Isobe, Sep 2, 2016
    Karen Gordon likes this.
  2. KLK3

BlueText

Thanks, actually, my mom has a friend who goes to Thailand for business pretty often. I've been looking for refurbished computers with a warranty but its hard to find a good one in my price range. I'm always wary of people who get rid other computers before they get really old. It kind of makes me wonder how nicely they treated their computer or if there is something wrong with it.

BlueText, Sep 2, 2016
  3. KLK3

Aree Wongwanlee

When you come across a secondhand computer which has a warranty that has not expired yet, ask the shopkeeper why it was traded in. If it was traded in for a newer model, it could just mean that the previous owner likes to keep up with the new models and has money to spend. Just make sure that the warranty is still really valid.

There's another way of getting a new computer at a good price. Look out for showroom models. These are computers which have been sitting in the showroom for about a year. They are not exactly secondhand since they have never been sold but they have been handled by customers. Some may still be sold with a warranty. Maybe not a full warranty, but three months is still good. Plus they are cheaper.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 5, 2016
  4. KLK3

janemariesayed

I think that buying a reconditioned, or second-hand computer is cheaper in the short term but you could end up paying more later on repairs. I purchased a reconditioned laptop and the mouse would jump all over the place whenever I started typing which was really infuriating. No matter how many times I got it fixed the same problem would still reoccur. Since then I bought my current laptop and it has worked fine with just a few minor easily fixable problems.

janemariesayed, Sep 8, 2016
  5. KLK3

cardinals27

I have never had a bad expirience with anything that is refurbished, but I usually like to buy new just because I don't want to risk it. If you are on a budget there is nothing wrong with buying a refurbished laptop.

cardinals27, Sep 10, 2016
  6. KLK3

clair02

I try never to buy used anything. The truth is, I'm not tech-savvy so I would hate to buy something and then have problems with it that would cost me even more money to fix. My first laptop was a used one and it didn't last me a year. It just gave out on me and from then on I've only ever bought brand new.

clair02, Sep 13, 2016
  7. KLK3

Karen Gordon

I think refurbished would be fine actually, but you might get more help with a computer that has a warranty on it if something goes wrong. It is just one of the things that comes in handy if you have a problem. If you can afford it, get a new one, however, if you can't buying refurbished is probably personally fine.

Karen Gordon, Sep 13, 2016
  8. KLK3

SirJoe

Refurbished isn't the same as being used. It should have been checked out before it was put on sale. Some refurbished computers do give a warranty, even though it isn't for a very long time.

SirJoe, Sep 18, 2016
  9. KLK3

GearZ

I've bought a few refurbished units over the years. (Knock on wood) I've never had a problem with any of them. Though that sampling size isn't huge. That said, with the prices of devices these days, I don't know how much one is really saving.

GearZ, Sep 18, 2016
  10. KLK3

Smithee

I'll prefer new any time. However when I don't have enough money to buy a new laptop but can buy find the same (refurbished model) which obviously will be cheaper, that's when I'll buy refurbished. That's what I would recommend too. Buy refurbished when you have no choice and opt for new when you can afford it.

Smithee, Sep 23, 2016
  11. KLK3

AngelicDevilTel

Me personally, I have never gone with refurbished anything but when my husband worked at Best Buy he told me that refurbished was just as good as new.
    I guess it would depend on what reason it is considered refurbished because some stores will consider an open box item as refurbished (not really sure why)

AngelicDevilTel, Sep 24, 2016
  12. KLK3

Aree Wongwanlee

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your very first used laptop. It doesn't always happen that way. However, to get a good used laptop, you need to do a lot of window-shopping and you have to be patient. If you are in a hurry, then you will have to pay for a new one.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 25, 2016
  13. KLK3

Allen1

Never heard about Powermaxx

Allen1, Sep 25, 2016
  14. KLK3

clair02

I
    I am looking to buy a touch screen laptop and I'm taking your words to heart and taking my time to really find out what options are out there for me. As much as I'm scared to get ripped off, I still would love to get a good bargain if I can so I will shop around for a bit and see what turns up.

clair02, Sep 25, 2016
  15. KLK3

IcyBC

I have been looking at a laptop to buy for my son, and of course, he would prefer a new one, but the price isn't right for my pocket. I have read up on refurbished or open box one! They are not exactly cheap, and some are still high in price.

A friend of mine sent me this link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/outlet-refu ... 8300666861 and I hope you might fine this helpful. If you see some that you like, I recommend price check the model of laptop on eBay and Amazon too.

IcyBC, Sep 25, 2016
  16. KLK3

remnant

I would buy the refurbished laptop if the market price is prohibitive to purchase a new one, those in the high end bracket. The fact remains that refurbished laptops perform well in most cases since they are tried and tested and the hardware weaknesses addressed during the makeover. As for the more affordable models, I would rather purchase from an accredited seller to avoid counterfeit versions.

remnant, Sep 28, 2016
  17. KLK3

Aree Wongwanlee

This is what you should be looking for. Look for a used laptop which is traded in by someone who wants another model not long after they have bought it. That means there isn't anything wrong with the used laptop except that it's previous owner wants a different model. Sometimes this happens when someone gets a laptop as a present. So you get a near-new laptop at a discounted price. Another possibility is a laptop once used by a student. When they graduate, many of them would get a new laptop as a graduation present. So, again, you can get a used laptop which is still in good working order, at a good discount.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 28, 2016
  18. KLK3

primebook4g

When considering whether to choose refurbished or new laptops, I would recommend opting for new laptops. New laptops provide several advantages over refurbished ones. With new laptops, you can benefit from the latest technologies, improved performance, and better reliability. For that PrimeBook 4G is best solutions, which offers attractive features like a 2 GHz MediaTek processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, 11.6" 720p IPS display, and an Android 11 (PrimeOS) operating system. Additionally, new laptops often come with warranties, ensuring peace of mind and support in case of any issues. Embracing new technology can enhance your overall computing experience.

primebook4g, Jul 16, 2023
  19. KLK3

primebook4g

When choosing between refurbished and new laptops, I'd recommend opting for a new Android laptop like the "Primebook 4G" running on PrimeOS. New laptops offer several advantages, including the cheap and affordable to even students, runs on latest technology, longer lifespan, and manufacturer warranties that provide peace of mind. With a new device, you're guaranteed optimal performance, updated features, and a device that's free from wear and tear.
    In the case of the "Primebook 4G," going for a new unit ensures you experience its full capabilities, efficient functionality, and the latest software enhancements provided by PrimeOS. Don't miss out on the benefits of a brand-new Android laptop that promises reliability and longevity.

primebook4g, Aug 16, 2023
Ask a Question