Reducing the memory foot print

Discussion in 'Windows' started by HVL, Feb 8, 2009.

1. HVL

HVL

I have a AOA110 with 1gb of RAM.

I manage to install Windows 7 on an external drive and boot from it. (Thanks to Google)

Speed is good, but definitelly would need more RAM, will probably upgrade to 1.5 when the waranty is over.

I installed AVG but disable email scanner.
    I disable also Windows Defender.

What else can I disable, to gain more free RAM?

With XP I have about 75% free RAM.
    While with Windows 7, it is arround 50%.

The only problem I found was with the Wireless card, it some time does not detect the card, (reboot solve the problem most of the time.)

Cheers,

HVL

HVL, Feb 8, 2009
  2. HVL

themediaman

I know it's a bad idea to run without an anti-virus program, but Win7 was running beautifully on 512 MB of RAM for weeks. When I installed AVG, the hard drive LED went solid and wouldn't turn off except the occasional *blink*.

Performance took a massive hit, so I uninstalled AVG and a couple days later everything was running smoothly again.

themediaman, Feb 8, 2009
  3. HVL

MrNiceguy

With the version 8 release, AVG has gotten bloated enough that I've stopped recommending it to people. If you're looking for free antivirus, I suggest Avira, available here: http://www.free-av.com

I've heard that Avast is also very good, but I haven't used it myself.

MrNiceguy, Feb 18, 2009
  4. HVL

RussellF

Avast is great. Still testing XP and 7 on my 150 with 512MB, but GTA and Doom3 have installed. GTA Vice City seems OK after a 1 minute test (hard to find the time to play ;)) but Doom3 runs a bit crappy. You can move around but it's very jerky. But hell, even that's good for the little fella right? Tempted to try GTAIV :lol:

RussellF, Feb 20, 2009
  5. HVL

jackluo923

jackluo923, Feb 24, 2009
Ask a Question