Recovery USB fails to boot - 99 99 99 FIXED - 2Gb key needed

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jamesb72, Oct 8, 2008.

1. jamesb72

jamesb72

I created a recovery USB (just in case!) by boot my PC off the recovery DVD, which boots into linux menu, and created a recovery USB on a 1Gb keydrive, took about 5 minutes, everything worked fine no errors shown, CD ejects which I assume confirms completion, obviously keydrive now shows as unformatted in XP, so I wanted to check this is OK.

Is there a way to check the drive will work without actually restoring everything to factory default (which I'd rather not do as everything on my One is working fine) ?

I've read of people creating usb drives which then fail to boot or only get to 80% recovery - obviously not much use if I only find out when One dies, that the recovery USB I've got ready won't work ?

UPDATE - I tried to boot from the USB keydrive just to check if boots, I get a black screen full of 99's (99 99 99 ...), then One seems to boot from the SSD as I get normal desktop and icons etc - not what I expected. I did this by switching on, pressing F12, moving down to USB keydrive (1 is SSD, 2 USB, 3 network?) and pressing enter.

Is a 1Gb keydrive not big enough ? Why does Acer recovery DVD not warn of this when creating the recovery USB, also the manual states keydrive of 1Gb or larger is required ? Is this out of date ?

Does the recovery DVD not work - I found Jorge's procedure to create a recovery USB from the One itself:
    http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-a ... overyImage
    Is this the only way to get a working USB recovery keydrive ?

My One is working fine, but I'm nervous to mess about with it too much until I am confident I could easily restore it if required ?

jamesb72, Oct 8, 2008
  2. jamesb72

Grim Squeaker

Re: Recovery USB fails to boot - 99 99 99 on screen ???

Your recovery USB indeed is incomplete. It seems it requires at least a 2 gb flashdrive.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 8, 2008
  3. jamesb72

steven.chien

hi! my friend, i experience the same thing as you do, i created a 1G usb recovery disk, at first, i got a full screen of BB, then i recreate the disk again, it worked, but this is crazy, when it reached 100%, a message appeared "error, program can not coninue", so now a got a dead machine, as Grim Squeaker said we need at least 2G disk, i will buy a larger one tomorrow to try, hopefully, it will work,or.... :(

steven.chien, Oct 8, 2008
  4. jamesb72

jamesb72

Thanks, I will try again with 2Gb key - strange that the linux installer doesn't give an error 'run out of space', thinking about this I realise the keydrive was saying 0% free space - which I should have spotted was suspicous !!

UPDATE: Ran this on a 2Gb keydrive, and recovery USB works fine !!

Acer need to update their recovery DVD instructions which say min 1Gb keydrive, ALSO the Recovery DVD should state 2Gb required, and should show an error if keydrive isn't big enough - not rocket science.

jamesb72, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question