Recopilation of Windows Vista guides w/ drivers.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by chuckcalo, Sep 18, 2008.

1. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

Hello, I've succeded installing Windows Vista Ultimate and I have all the drivers fully working. I can't deny this thing is blazing fast. Boot time is about 40 seconds or so.

Specs:
    - Acer Aspire One 150
    - 120HDD Sata
    - 1.5GB RAM
    - Bios 3304
    - Windows Vista Ultimate installed.

Step 1

- Follow up this guide from foot to head.
    viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3230&p=21506&hilit=xcopy#p21506

Step 2
    - Download the following drivers

Audio Drivers (There all the same, just pick one of these mirrors.)
    Mirror 1 - ftp://152.104.238.19/pc/audio/Vista_R204.zip
    Mirror 2 - ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/Vista_R204.zip
    Mirror 3 - ftp://61.56.69.18/pc/audio/Vista_R204.zip

Video Drivers (needed for Vista Aero)
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... n&lang=eng

LAN Drivers edit!
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

WAN & SD Card Reader (Atheros and Jmicron)
    I Suggest you get them from Windows Update, that's where I got them from. The ones for XP didn't work for me.

Webcam Driver
    Already installed with Windows Vista.

Video

Screenshots

chuckcalo, Sep 18, 2008
  2. chuckcalo

maciek

I need to check if mine displays 2 processors like yours.
    And also would Vista have already best chipset drivers? I wonder if this could improve anything. But overall, its very quick and aero works brilliantly.

maciek, Sep 18, 2008
  3. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

I don't remember myself installed any chipset drivers. However I think Windows Update found a few and I installed them.

chuckcalo, Sep 18, 2008
  4. chuckcalo

kingway

hi, chuckcalo

I don't why my aao150 mini netbook could be NOT negotiated the lan driver for vista you posted, and it was NO function eventhough I pluged in LAN cable, why? It showed "exclamation mark" next to the LAN controller icon in DEVICE MANAGER, why? Do you mind to help me? thanks

kingway, Sep 22, 2008
  5. chuckcalo

woofer00

Vista doesn't include the drivers for these obscure companies(Atheros) by default, but does have them available by Windows Update. Just download either the LAN or WiFi drivers, install them (you have to guess which device is which), then windows update your way to functionality.

woofer00, Sep 22, 2008
  6. chuckcalo

remoh

remoh, Sep 22, 2008
  7. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

chuckcalo, Sep 23, 2008
  8. chuckcalo

one2many

This is a great thread,thanks for sharing your experience. I am planning to put Vista on my new aa1 150 and I don't have an external USB drive. Will a 2 gig USB flash drive do?

one2many, Sep 25, 2008
  9. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

Well, you need a 4GB drive because the windows vista takes like 3gb something.

chuckcalo, Sep 25, 2008
  10. chuckcalo

one2many

Wow, thanks for the superfast reply, I am going to buy a 4gig drive right away...

one2many, Sep 25, 2008
  11. chuckcalo

one2many

Latest news from me, I got a 4gig USB drive (kingston datatraveller for ~$17 was the cheapest I could find on my way home from work).
    I made it bootable as per step 1. Ran into some problems. The flash drive was made bootable without incident. While performing xcopy of install.wim, over 2 gigs, my vista laptop (not the aa1) hanged itself. Had to reboot, perform checkdisk, delete partially copied install.wim (would let me delete it without checkdsk). Then I manually copied rest of the files (drag and drop) not xcopy. Finally got what looked like a bootable flash installer. Trying it out now. I was unable to change the boot device to the usb drive. I got an error - something like unable to read bootable partition or something like that. Anyway, I booted into XP and double clicked on setup.exe. It has reached the restart phase. Restarted successfully. Now its installing Vista as I type....I am really excited. Hope this works. I'll be downloading the other drivers now. Thanks a lot guys for making it easier for late starters like me.

one2many, Sep 26, 2008
  12. chuckcalo

one2many

Ok, I was able to download the Realtek HD audio driver, ethernet driver and the Intel video driver successfully, downloading windows update for WLAN and other drivers, 165 megs, so taking some time....there are certain devices in the Device Manager (base device!) that don't have any drivers yet. Hopefully the update install will fix all of that.

BTW, I have a aa1 150 with 1GB RAM and 120GB hard drive. The Vista Performance is at 1.0, but it still is fast. I'll upgrade to 1.5Gb RAM soon. Can we upgrade it to 2.5 gigs (2gig + 512MB soldered)? Just wondering....

one2many, Sep 26, 2008
  13. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

I'm glad you found a way to install Vista. As for the ram, you can just put in a 1GB stick (for a total of 1.5GB). Check my Vista Score, yours should be similar except for the RAM. Remember to install all the updates and all the drivers I listed. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

chuckcalo, Sep 26, 2008
  14. chuckcalo

noap_

The link says:
    So where did you get the Audio Drivers?

noap_, Sep 26, 2008
  15. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

So where did you get the Audio Drivers?[/quote:2jlruqrb]

You just have to tick "I agree with the above" then click Next..

chuckcalo, Sep 27, 2008
  16. chuckcalo

noap_

hehe, yeah, I've already tried so. Then a blank page arrives which says "Object moved to here.", linked to the same page as the link above. ;)

noap_, Sep 27, 2008
  17. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

chuckcalo, Sep 27, 2008
  18. chuckcalo

one2many

For the record, i just clicked on the HD audio drivers link and it got me to the same drivers.
    Thanks chuckcalo for doing a great job updating the links.

I am upgrading to 1.5 gigs with a PNY PC4200 1GB stick over the weekend. Will let you know if my Vista score improves.
    In the meanwhile, I am using virtual clone drive to simulate a DVD drive for installing software.

one2many, Sep 28, 2008
  19. chuckcalo

chuckcalo

Well I haven't installed any programs in this except for office 2007, messenger and VLC. I game in my PC but I use this thing 24/7 7 days a week. I just don't want to overload the memory :p.

chuckcalo, Sep 28, 2008
  20. chuckcalo

Guest Guest

Does anyone know, for the Realtek audio drivers, if Vista_R206.zip will work aswell? On this site http://files.3dnews.org/pub/drivers/SOUND/realtek/, I see Vista_R204.zip, but Vista_R206 seems to be newer. Any problems with using the newest version?

Guest, Oct 20, 2008
Ask a Question