Recommendations for a Laptop Bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by fcuco, Mar 15, 2016.

1. fcuco

fcuco

Do you have some recommendations for affordable yet quality laptop bags? Which are, in your opinion, the best brands when it comes to laptop bags?

I am looking for something elegant but rough so it offers a decent amount of protection to the laptop.

I am sucker for real leather, but I don't think that offers a good enough protection for the machine, so maybe something with a padded inside, I don't know, let me know if you have good suggestions.

fcuco, Mar 15, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. fcuco

IBMPC8088

You can usually find a nice selection of these everywhere from Ebay to Etsy and designer stores online. The good news is that you can usually find a nice laptop bag that fits the style and what you need at many storefronts, as long as the bag is as large as the laptop from edge to edge or larger. The only time you'll have any kind of issue here is if the laptop is not have enough length or height to accommodate the laptop. You'll always have enough width unless the laptop has a weird attachment that makes it too big to fit in the usually spacious and plentiful carrying cases available.

IBMPC8088, Mar 15, 2016
  3. fcuco

fcuco

Wait, what? Do you mean that I am going to have trouble if the laptop is too big for the case right?. Well, yeah, sorry but that's kind of obvious. Also, I don't think I am going to be doing my bag shopping on designers stores if that means that the price of the bag is going to be higher than what I paid for the laptop itself! :confused:

By the way, you don't want your case to be too spacious relative to your laptop's size, otherwise the laptop is going to be dancing around inside the bag and hitting everything, you need something that fits nicely but that is thigh enough, I kinda know that, I was asking more about specific bag brand recommendations.

fcuco, Mar 17, 2016
  4. fcuco

CasualGoofy

Samsonite is a safe choice. Certain ones are on sale at ebags.com

Leather bags are awesome. But I'd hate to scuff them up. I am using a Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag because they are lightweight and padded. They might look too casual yet practical. I don't worry about rainy days with it.

CasualGoofy, Mar 20, 2016
  5. fcuco

fcuco

Those look pretty cool, specially the messenger bags (I am not into backpacks that much), the model "special messenger bag" from Timbuk2 in all black is gorgeous, but a little expensive being close to 300 bucks, the "classical messenger bag" is probably the one I will consider, thanks!

fcuco, Mar 20, 2016
  6. fcuco

CasualGoofy

No problem :D!

The black ones are really nice. A little over $100 is still worth it for the classic ones. On top of that, some of them are on sale on some websites. I gave my (a discontinued model that looks like classic) bag a number of rinses over the span of 5 years. It ends up looking refreshed.

CasualGoofy, Mar 22, 2016
  7. fcuco

fcuco

The funny thing is, since I will use the bag mostly for my chromebook I will probably end up paying more for the bag than I paid for the computer itself! :rolleyes: They should invent an adjustable laptop bag for people that have more than one laptops that are not exactly of the same size, so, if you have a small chromebook you could adjust the padding for it to fit comfortably inside the same space that you could somehow enlarge to put your larger desktop replacement laptop when you must take it for a ride. If you only buy the large bag your smaller laptop is going to suffer.

fcuco, Mar 23, 2016
  8. fcuco

CasualGoofy

Exactly! That's why I have one bag for 15"(this has a Velcro to secure the laptop) and 11"/ipad. But I actually use the larger one as my travel bag. It's one way to get more use out your lesser used bag. Or you could collect sleeves for devices you own :D

CasualGoofy, Mar 24, 2016
  9. fcuco

fcuco

I was really over complicating everything when I was thinking about some kind of "convertible" bag when all you really need is 2 separated compartments of different sizes and that's it, but yet again, you mentioned velcro and that's pretty much the answer, the size of the bag is not important if you can simply tightly secure a smaller laptop using some velcro straps, if anything a small laptop on a big bag secured like that is going to be much more protected than a small laptop inside a small bag. Glad I don't make my living designing bags because all my ideas were dumb. :oops:

fcuco, Mar 25, 2016
  10. fcuco

CasualGoofy

It's like doing homework. I go searching for means of protecting every device I have.That's why I may have few too many product or option suggestions (haha)

Not at all! Ideas aren't necessarily dumb. They at most only seem that way initially. Look at Samsung's first phablet. It used to be called dumb and silly for being too big. There's comic strip somewhere too. Forgot where it was. Then there's iPhone 6 plus. Nearly no one is calling iPhone 6 plus dumb.

CasualGoofy, Mar 25, 2016
  11. fcuco

spence88

Just to contribute, I have a Targus ASUS Republic of Gamers backpack. I am not sure if it fits your description, but it offers a really good amount of protection for my laptop. It came with my laptop three years ago. Used it since then and never had a problem. I can put my 17 inch laptop, mouse and adaptor in it, and it will still have lots of space left for other things.

spence88, Mar 29, 2016
  12. fcuco

IcyBC

I bought my laptop bag at a Thrift Store for about $5 dollars, and it was Eddie Bauer! The laptop was in a new condition, with most plastic still on the zipper and icon. It was not leather, but made with really quality material, plus it had many little compartment inside. I don't really like leather, since the weight is much heavier for traveling purpose.

IcyBC, Apr 1, 2016
  13. fcuco

obliviousme

I'm sure there's tons you can find in ebay or amazon. In my case, i'm still using the laptop bag that comes with the laptop and it's still looking fine even after a couple of years of service.

obliviousme, Apr 30, 2016
  14. fcuco

Lisa Davis

There's no magic brand for laptop cases.Like everyone pretty much said, just make sure that you get one that fits and isn't too big because the laptop really bounces around when it is too large and over time especially, that can be harmful. Some good cases that I have purchased even have really good padding, both inside and out, that do a good job protecting the machine from any impact.

Lisa Davis, May 15, 2016
Ask a Question