realtek audio manager (winXP)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by penandpaper, Dec 29, 2008.

1. penandpaper

penandpaper

there's an icon for the realtek audio manager in the lower right corner (next to the clock).

interestingly, there's no add/remove listing for this in control panel.

is this program absolutely necessary? if not, can i remove it. if so, how?

thanks!

penandpaper, Dec 29, 2008
  2. penandpaper

Forone

You can remove the tray icon by opening the controller and clicking the little "information" button bottom left. Then bottom left of that screen is a green button - click to grey.

There is a running process for the RealTek manager called "RTHDCPL" which supposedly can be safely disabled with a process editor. I haven't done it. Here's a writeup or you can google for more:

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/rthdcpl/

Forone, Dec 29, 2008
  3. penandpaper

jeremysdad

I disabled (read: turned off at startup) this service from the startup menu. You can access this by clicking "run" on the start menu. Type "msconfig" and hit enter. Click the "startup" tab in the window that pops up, and uncheck the box that corresponds with "AzMixerSel", and click "Apply".

I would recommend downloading and installing CCleaner, as, in addition to cleaning your C: drive and Registry, it has an easier to access and more descriptive Startup manager.

Alternatively, you can go into Device Manager (right click "My Computer", and select "Manage". Open "Device Manager" from the resulting window--in the menu on the left hand side.) under "Sound,Video, etc", and disable it there completely. Be warned: if you choose the second option, it appears that you will not have sound of any kind.

The first method just keeps it from running automatically at Startup, and keeps the icon out of the Taskbar. I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

PS: Further more, I believe it is in th e"Add/Remove" list. It is called "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver". Like mentioned above, I am not sure, if you uninstalled it, that you would have any sound at all. I think I may go try.

PPS: After disabling in the Device Manager, I in fact had no sound whatsoever. I would NOT uninstall or disable completely this device, unless you will never need sound. Just remove it from the Startup programs, and you will be fine.

Edit: In fact, I forgot about the "RTH***" in the Startup menu. You can disable that, as well. You will still have audio output, just no fancy controls. It will simply leave you with Vol up, down, and mute. Works fine, if that's all you need.

jeremysdad, Dec 29, 2008
  4. penandpaper

robandjeanne

Some of us are having problems where the built in mic can't record sounds (deaf mic). If your mic is working (check with sound recorder, or skype, or...) I wouldn't mess with this program.

robandjeanne, Dec 29, 2008
  5. penandpaper

jeremysdad

Just checked, my built in mic is still functional.

Edit: Not trying to argue, just letting everyone know.

jeremysdad, Dec 29, 2008
  6. penandpaper

penandpaper

thanks!

i disabled it on msconfig and everyone still seems to work fine.

penandpaper, Dec 29, 2008
Ask a Question