really messed things up now!

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by sunster, Nov 14, 2009.

1. sunster

sunster

You know when you do one thing wrong - try to correct it and make it a whole heap worse?

So, before I even start I'd like to apologise to the smart ones out there. I know I'm an idiot about all this and I should have stepped back and thought about it, but if there's a kind soul out there willing to help I would greatly appreciate it.

I Had my AAO running dual boot with windows 7 and Mac OS 10.5.6. All was good and I was happy with everything about it until I updated itunes which stopped working via the itunes store as it said I needed to update my OS.
    First thing I did was use time machine to do a backup onto an external HD - this was about the only smart thing I did.

Next up, burned ideneb v1.6 onto DVD - this was the lite version.

Booted from DVD, updated software and restarted. System hung so used cpus=1 and got onto the desktop. All seemed to be okay except - the keyboard was completely unresponsive (and the screen resolution was back to 800 x 600) - tried to replace some kexts but couldn't as it asked for my password.

So, rebooted from DVD again - this time selecting pretty much all the extras from the customise screen and rebooted.

This time even worse - couldn't get anywhere near the desktop - apple logo just hangs. The only thing I could do at this stage was select the DVD drive to boot/reinstall from the DVD, which I tried about four other times.

So, thought maybe I should try rebooting from my original Ideneb v 1.4 (OS X 10.5.6) DVD and reinstalling back to what I had originally.

And...

Now totally messed up. First of all, it doesn't work - just hanging on the apple logo again. But worse still, if I select the DVD drive (pressing F12, selecting and pressing enter) it takes me back to darwin so it's not even letting me reinstall.

Because I have win 7 on too at least I am able to use this, but I'm a mac person really - to the point that I've bought the OS legitimately.

And also, I am a total novice to this (can you guess?) - even though I know what a command line is, I don't really understand the world of kexts, BUT AM WILLING to learn.

Long message I know - but can someone even give me pointers to get me out of this rut?

thanks,

Sunster

sunster, Nov 14, 2009
  2. sunster

velayo

I would advise to delete all systems files from within windows and leaving only your users folder on the mac side.

Then install from scratch and your user would still be there.

velayo, Nov 14, 2009
  3. sunster

velayo

I forgot when u do an install just use the absolutely necessary patches don't go around selecting everything because it will mess things up.

velayo, Nov 14, 2009
  4. sunster

sunster

Hi Velayo,

Good idea, will be onto this ASAP - I initially used easy bcd to create the mac partition but this seems to be broken now too - it thinks that my system is vista rather than win 7! - anyway, before I investigate easy bcd can you tell me if this is something I can do within win 7 without easy bcd - should I be able to see the mac system/folders as I don't seem to be able to do so???

Sunster

sunster, Nov 14, 2009
  5. sunster

velayo

I don't remember as I haven't used windows in about 5 years, but I remember there was a program called transmac.

velayo, Nov 16, 2009
Ask a Question