ReadyBoost not usable through SD Slot!? WTF

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by nick james, Jun 6, 2010.

1. nick james

nick james

I just bought a Aspireone from Costco and I was trying for days to get the ready boost feature to work through the SD slot. Finally after getting on the net and searching, I came across this board (Hi ;) ) and found a post where it was confirmed that the Aspireone's SD slot couldn't be used.

Is this like this on all netbooks (not just Acer)? This is almost a deal breaker and I'm contemplating taking it back to Costco- gotta love their 90 day return policy regardless of the issue at hand!

Cheers,

Nick

nick james, Jun 6, 2010
  2. nick james

Swarvey Moderator

Can't say I've ever used readyboost, and have felt absolutely no need to. Seeing as you consider this a "deal breaker" I'm assuming you're:

1. Trying to use Vista or later Windows OS on the netbook
    and
    2. Seeing that performance is suffering from such an OS that you would want readyboost to pick up some slack.

Vista and Win7 aren't that great on these netbooks without either some tweaking to the OS itself, or installing the extra RAM (to get up to 2gb if your model supports it)

My AAO D250 with 2Gb RAM runs Win 7 just fine without readyboost. And from what I've heard, readyboost doesn't really do much anyway.

Swarvey, Jun 9, 2010
  3. nick james

bluevolume

Agreeing with the previous post. In no way should ReadyBoost be a "deal breaker" for you on a netbook. Upgrade to 2GB of ram and you'll get the only 'boost' you need.

You'd have to run through specific benchmark/usability testing with 2 machines side by side to ever notice any difference from Readyboost. Its not going to matter other than being able to say its there.

bluevolume, Jun 9, 2010
  4. nick james

nick james

Thanks for the heads up guys.
    I didnt realize that ReadyBoost wasn't that important of a feature which is probably why Acer dropped the ball on it anyways.
    I was under the impression that it was very useful and a "noticeable difference". I thought the 1gb of ram and the Win7 Starter package worked fine for what I was using it for. I bought a netbook, not a desktop or laptop :roll:

Thanks for your input, I'll settle down and continue to enjoy my new purchase... well for another 60 days until I can take it back and upgrade lol :D

Nick

nick james, Jun 11, 2010
  5. nick james

bluevolume

Costco's return policies are helping raise prices for everyone! Horray! :evil:

bluevolume, Jun 11, 2010
  6. nick james

nick james

Hip Hip Horray to you :mrgreen:

nick james, Jun 12, 2010
Ask a Question