Ready Boost

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Barry Black, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Barry Black

Barry Black

I am trying to use a 4GB card for ready boost. When I open the ready boost window I get a message that this device cannot be use for ready Boost because the sysmain service is off. Two questions: How do I turn the sysmain service on and how effective is ready boost? The computer has 1GB of RAM and 250GB HD.

Barry Black, Apr 12, 2011
  2. Barry Black

matts1

The sysmain service is simply the Superfetch service that should have been already on by default. It pretty much does the same thing as Readyboost, but in Superfetch's case it helps improve computer performance over time. And yes, Readyboost does provide better app startup time over time. The rule of thumb is to provide Readyboost with 1 to 3 times the amount of ram you have. So a 4GB card would work fine.

So just open up the services dialog box and find Superfetch and have it turn on automatically in its properties and Readyboost will work.

matts1, Apr 13, 2011
Ask a Question