[READ FIRST] Youtube and other flash embeded video

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ullilein, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ullilein

NorCalAspire

Re: youtube is a slideshow on battery power...

I've owned 4 Aspire Ones in the last year, and they were all excellent.

YouTube could be slow for several reasons:

1. Go into Power Options and choose Maximum Performance instead of letting the software dial down performance on battery. Still, this should only affect screen brightness and the speed with which it shuts down the screen or goes to sleep (stuff prevented by occasional cursor movement).

2. Make sure your new netbook isn't updating itself. I usually turn on auto updates but go into the control panel and manually update, which on a new netbook takes hours and requires several reboots. While it is updating NOTHING runs fast.

3. Don't use McAfee Antivirus. Try Avira Free or Microsoft Security Essentials, also free, don't use as much processing power. Make sure a full disk scan isn't going on while you are trying to watch YouTube.

4. On a netbook don't expect more than 360p, in-browser, Hulu watching. You can get full screen YouTube BUT ONLY IF you go to youtube.com/html5 and opt into their HTML5 beta program, which shows stutter free full screen HD/HQ videos. Jobs is right - Flash consumes massive resources. HTML5 does the same job with lower powered processors.

NorCalAspire, Feb 23, 2010
  2. ullilein

NorCalAspire

Re: Youtube videos run like total crap on my Aspire One...

The GMA 500 video chip in the ao751 is excellent but until recently poorly supported by Intel (they licensed the chip but decided to write their own drivers...).

Google Intel Support then search for GMA drivers. Download the latest dated driver for your operating system. Vista, XP, and 7 all have updated drivers. Note: do not go into the device manager under your control panel, it will not find these updates.

Download Flash 10.1 Beta 2, plug in version, and run Google Chrome as your browser. Flash 10.1 doesn't quite support the GMA 500 although the GMA 500 supports DirectX commands, which Flash 10.1 is supposed to support. Maybe by the time 10.1 is alpha...or 10.2 comes out.

Go to youtube.com/html5 and opt into the beta program; your videos will run much better.

Chrome supports HTML5; Firefox is supposed to, but won't for me. Firefox uses the fewest resources; Chrome is second. So I use Chrome (4.xx beta).

For playing h.264 video, VLC is the best player, Windows Media Player 11 or 12 second best, Quicktime not so quick.

Oddly enough my netbook will play movie trailers in Quicktime 480p downloaded from Apple.com/trailers, but WON'T play anything near that quality downloaded from iTunes.

Consider the Broadcom Crystal HD BCM70012 video accelerator card. It's getting past the "beta" stage in terms of performance and looks very promising. About $25 from eBay's Hong Kong etc. sellers.

NorCalAspire, Feb 23, 2010
  3. ullilein

Forone

Re Firefox, this is from the YouTube HTML5 page:

"YouTube HTML5 Video Player
    This is an opt-in experiment for HTML5 support on YouTube. If you are using a supported browser, you can choose to use the HTML5 player instead of the Flash player for most videos. Your comments will help us improve and perfect the mixtures we're working on. So jump in, play around, and send your feedback directly to the brains behind the scenes.

Supported Browsers
    Right now we support browsers that support both the video tag in HTML5 and the h.264 video codec. These include:

* Google Chrome
    * Apple Safari (version 4+)
    * Microsoft Internet Explorer with Google Chrome Frame installed (Get Google Chrome Frame)"

Firefox is not named as supported, for whatever reason. Though I don't like its security and privacy, I"ve installed Chrome just for YouTube and the other Google services (like Maps and Docs) that run better on it - and they do.

Re Video in XP:

One of the most common problems on these machines is caused in the Atheros driver settings, by "Power Saving Mode" on by default - it can be disabled in the Device Manager. (And of course be sure to be running the latest version of the driver available on Windows Updates.)

Forone, Feb 24, 2010
  4. ullilein

atarione

flash 10 beta 3 just came out which has hardware acceleration for the mighty GMA500

I was using beta 1 on my A110L w/ Ubuntu UNR 9.10 upgraded to beta 3 yesterday full screen hulu acceptable not perfect but tolerable.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

atarione, Feb 26, 2010
  5. ullilein

4shizzle

Youtube runs fine on my asus... :p

4shizzle, Apr 4, 2010
  6. ullilein

Sudsmcduff96

I never noticed anything wrong while on Youtube on my AA1 :T

Sudsmcduff96, Apr 26, 2010
  7. ullilein

Forone

After reading a piece in MaximumPC I installed this - have to be careful, it's one of those things with optional permissions for toolbars and junk all through the install steps, but it does finally go in clean and it does not nag.

It does not have to be constantly run as a process - I just turn it on before watching a video stream - note the list of supported sites, but includes youtube. It seems to really boost the "buffering" and smooth out jitters on longer streams - I've never had a problem with short videos on my weakling A-150:

http://www.videoaccelerator.com/

Forone, Jul 31, 2010
  8. ullilein

jannypan

I also found by turning compiz off my video play back improved drastically but still not awsome.

jannypan, Jun 22, 2011
Ask a Question