[READ FIRST] Youtube and other flash embeded video

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ullilein, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ullilein

Foxtropics

Re: youtube video problem?

Friendly bump for you. I am also interested in your question, ANY PC I have must be able to play youtube videos. I spend a lot of time on youtube and it is pretty much a requirement to me to work smoothly. I don't mind so much if the HQ/HD videos are a bit iffy, but since I don't own an AAO yet, I can't check. If they don't play youtube videos back smoothly, especially hulu as well I may look elsewhere or just get a small full size laptop... So if anyone has the answers to the above questions, or can tell us your experiences with hulu and youtube I would really like to hear it.

Foxtropics, May 9, 2009
  2. ullilein

angel4rent

Re: HELP: no sounds when playing videos/audios from youtube

oh yeah, I'm sorry. I've got, the Windows XP, can I switch it to vista? just wondering, I've got 1GB memory (will be upgrading this soon) and the SSD of 8GB still.

....already working... thank you.

angel4rent, May 10, 2009
  3. ullilein

AOD150BLACK

I don't have any problems with regular youtube videos, even full length movies in full screen mode, but the HD videos do often get jumpy. For example, before responding, I watched the "I am Legend" trailer. While in normal and fullscreen mode and it played flawlessly, but in HD mode it froze about every second and a half for about a quarter of a second.

Have you removed all the "bloatware" that comes preinstalled on your Acer? Some of the programs are resource hogs, and others slow down your browser and/or other apps. For example, the anti-virus that came preinstalled is both a resource hog and a browser drag. Uninstall it, and any other of the bloatware apps you don't use, and replace with a lighter antivirus such as AVG. This should help with watching online videos especially.

If you want to watch HD, netbooks are not the answer yet. If you watch regular youtube videos, my D150 works great!

AOD150BLACK, May 10, 2009
  4. ullilein

Gunner86

I had the same problem with my AAO 10" until i uninstalled internet explorer and installed firefox instead......now youtube plays fine in normal mode but still won't play hd movies.

Gunner86

Gunner86, May 10, 2009
  5. ullilein

moshiachnow

Re: System craps out when viewing Youtube etc.

I am having the same problems with audio stuttering. It started one day a few weeks ago while I was listening a streaming internet broadcast. Then I noticed it happens with ANY audio, even playing an MP3 file, so the problem is not a network or internet connection issue. We have two identical Acers - one runs fine and the other one is the stuttering one. The stuttering one has been downloading regular Windows updates, while the one that is working fine does not get updated too regularly. Could it be one of the updates that did it? I see replies saying that reinstalling drivers seems to fix it.

I downloaded the RealTek drivers from Acer's site and reinstalled them. The system still stutters. Do I need to remove all of the audio drivers and codecs? Any ideas?

moshiachnow, Aug 3, 2009
  6. ullilein

daphne

I NEED HELP TOO I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM? ANY ANSWER PLS...

daphne, Aug 14, 2009
  7. ullilein

Forone

One thing to try is right-clicking the video and ensuring in the dialog box that the Flash storage is set to Unlimited. You can permanently set this along with some other things at the Adobe Flash Management site (Web Site Storage) here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... nager.html

Learning that Flash has its own "cookie" system for these settings was a surprise to me.

I also have download a little ap called Prio, that makes changes to Task Manager settings permanent. After ctl-alt-del go to Processes tab and rt-click the browser you're using (be sure it's running) then Set Priority to High or Realtime. (If you don't use Prio, the setting will disappear when you restart.)

Forone, Aug 14, 2009
  8. ullilein

SubImpact

Bad YouTube playback

I have the 11.6 A0751h (Intel Z520, 2GB RAM, GMA 500, Vista) and the YouTube playback, or any playback of flash video isn't that great. I'm running the latest drivers for the GMA 500 from intel (7.14.10.1005). Flash playback does seem to be better on google chrome rather than firefox. I've searched for solutions all over the internet and not much has come up other than "teh noobz who rote teh driverz for the gma 500 suxorz". I'm contemplating downgrading to the aspire one D250 since it has the GMA 950 processor and I've read that it's clock speed is much better than the GMA 500 but any help with improving the video playback is greatly appreciated.

SubImpact, Aug 16, 2009
  9. ullilein

Queen6

Re: Bad YouTube playback

Why not upgrade to the Aspire Timeline 1810T (1410)? Better performance than the N2XX CPU, with GMA 4500MHD graphics and the same form factor

Q-6

Queen6, Aug 16, 2009
  10. ullilein

jread

Youtube videos run like total crap on my Aspire One...

I have the Acer Aspire One AO751H-1346 with the following specs:

Intel Atom Z520 1.33GHz
    11.6" 1366x768 LED LCD
    2GB RAM
    250GB HD
    webcam + microphone
    802.11g wireless
    flash reader
    3-cell battery
    Windows Vista Home Basic

I've been pretty impressed with this little machine so far (runs basic games well, has no trouble with Office 2007, etc.) but am very disappointed with its poor performance on Youtube videos. I assumed when I bought it that it would be sufficient for flash videos but all of them are extremely choppy and nearly unwatchable (and you can forget trying to watch the "HD" versions).

I have installed the latest version of flash and I don't have much running in the background, so I'm not sure what else to do. I use Firefox 3.5.3 as my browser.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I could do to improve the performance of Youtube on this machine? Surely there are some tweaks or something out there that could help.

Thanks!

jread, Sep 14, 2009
  11. ullilein

Darryl

Re: Youtube videos run like total crap on my Aspire One...

Have you checked the browser has the latest flash installed in plugins? enter "about:plugins" without the quotes into the address bar I've had similar probs but on a different O.S but it may be worth a look. There is also a flashplugin installer program but the the ins and outs of vista I do not know, the above may give you an answer tho
    D

Darryl, Sep 14, 2009
  12. ullilein

jread

I tried it and it said I have Flash 10.0 installed and it is enabled.

jread, Sep 15, 2009
  13. ullilein

garrovick

Some times disabling "Hardware Acceleration" in Flash helps. Right click with the cursor on the video. Go to settings.

garrovick, Sep 15, 2009
  14. ullilein

jread

That did seem to help a little, thank you! It's still choppy but a lot more watchable now than before. Still a no-go on HD but I'll take what I can get :)

jread, Sep 16, 2009
  15. ullilein

jread

UPDATE: I installed Windows 7 on my netbook a week or so ago, and now my problems on Youtube are basically non-existent. It still can't handle HD videos, but the regular videos run like a dream. In fact, Windows 7 increased the overall performance of the system incredibly (in every aspect)!

I highly recommend getting Windows 7 if you can :)

jread, Oct 4, 2009
  16. ullilein

fauxpas

Sweet. 7 rules... I can play most 720p vids. Just try PowerDVD 9 and MPC. Between those 2 and stock media player most 720p vids should play.

fauxpas, Oct 4, 2009
  17. ullilein

Nick_in_Wash

And it is going to get better since today Adobe announced that they are going to push out Flash 10.1 later in the year with code that supports hardware video acceleration, including modules for smartphones. The later is important because the GMA500 video processor you have was originally designed for the smartphone/MID marketplace.

Nick_in_Wash, Oct 5, 2009
  18. ullilein

Uptownguy

Updated Synaptics driver -help Acer Aspire One 751 video

No guarantees that this will work -- but earlier tonight I updated my Synaptics (mouse) driver to the latest version - 14.0.3 - and my videos (Hulu / YouTube) have never run smoother... give it a try. I'm curious to hear if this works for people. The Acer site doesn't have the updated driver but the Synaptics page does:

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

(Link to my earlier post on the topic: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=15378&start=20#p108774 )

Uptownguy, Dec 13, 2009
  19. ullilein

altmann

youtube is a slideshow on battery power...

I checked power settings etc, but this is a computer for my wife. I can't play youtube vids in firefox while on battery power. It's about 1 frame every 2 seconds. What's the deal? I have almost NO other software installed and no firefox addons. Plugged in, it runs fine (as fine as this thing can). My wife is pretty upset. Any advice?

altmann, Feb 8, 2010
  20. ullilein

altmann

Re: youtube is a slideshow on battery power...

Nevermind. I'm returning this thing to the store. PoS.

altmann, Feb 9, 2010
Ask a Question