Random loose screw fell out of my AAO

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bugbot42, Oct 9, 2008.

1. bugbot42

bugbot42

A small, silver screw fell out of my computer. I have absolutely no idea what it may have been used for as I have not opened up my computer. It would be appreciated if anyone familiar with the innards of the AOA150 could tell me where the screw came from any if I should attempt to open up my computer and re-screw it. Thanks in advance!

The screw is silver, 3mm long, has a Phillips head, and its top has a diameter of 4mm.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the switch to turn my WiFi on and off is very loose and rattles, but still works. I think it's possible that the screw came from there, but I'm not positive as I have not been able to compare the switch on my AAO with one on another AAO.

bugbot42, Oct 9, 2008
  2. bugbot42

goofball

I believe there is one that is on the right hand side under the keyboard that holds the top bezel down. Pretty sure that is the only silver screw (other than the ones for the HDD) that is in the AAO.

goofball, Oct 10, 2008
  3. bugbot42

carz2

I have 3 aao linux 512 120g models, the first one i took apart to update the ram and i found a small silver screw loose inside, didn't look at the time but to day I installed internal bluetooth to the mb usb points and looked closer. It is a hard drive screw, 2 others were loose, one almost out also, they hold the hd cage to the hd. In my other I found an extra small black screw when updating the ram, haven't found a spot for it yet and I've had it apart for many upgrades, 4 port hub, bluetooth, wireless n, I want a 3g card next.

carz2, Oct 12, 2008
  4. bugbot42

ritek

Found the same screw loose when I opened my AAO... Not sure where it came from.. :?:

ritek, Oct 15, 2008
  5. bugbot42

echorey

I have just experienced a similar problem with a loose screw. Just received an AOA150-1049 160GB 6 cell black AAO. Worked fine for 3 days, then I picked up and heard a rattling noise, sounded like a screw internally loose. Giggled the unit and first thought maybe it was the WLAN switch but it was not. This screw must have logeded itself by the right side 2 USB ports because within seconds I had a window pop up saying "USB Hub Power surge". XP shutdown power to the right 2 USB ports. Left port worked and so does the SD slots. This continue for 3 days - no right 2 USB ports working. I then decided to to shake lightly the AOOA and the screw became loose agin but then appeared to get logeded somewhere else in the case. But now both right USB ports work. All the hardware is currently working. I hate to open the case to find this screw. I guess I'll wait until it becomes loose again and in the mean time investigate how to open the case for access. Sounds like if may be the silver screw as described in the previous log that holds the HD cover. Time will tell. Anyone else experience this? :(

echorey, Oct 22, 2008
  6. bugbot42

Veazer

Same thing happened to me, I noticed one held between the foam on the fan shroud and the case. When i opened up the case to retrieve it, I found another stuck to one of the speaker magnets and another just hanging by a few threads.The fourth was almost all the way screwed in, but still very loose. Nice going Acer.

Echoray- it's very important to get this problem fixed asap. My friend fried a dell laptop mobo by having a loose screw floating around inside. One time he shifted the machine when using it and the screw rolled over rolled over and created a short (and a nice little puff of smoke). That was the end of that mobo.

Veazer, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question