Ram usage on startup

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by nikomax, Dec 29, 2008.

1. nikomax

nikomax

Hey there folks!

Just wondered if you could tell me your average ram usage on start-up.
    I know this depends on what your running, like compiz and so on, but I would like to know just in case.

On start up without compiz and fusion-icon running my ram usage is about 26% according to conky and with
    these 2 on ~35%. Does anyone know what I can do to reduce this figure as whilst doing some web-dev earlier I
    noticed my ram usage hit 95%, with ~35% just to run the system.

Any help would be nice

Niko

nikomax, Dec 29, 2008
  2. nikomax

nikomax

Forget this, turns out system monitor is wrong compared to free...
    But it still would be interesting to see what ram usage is like.

nikomax, Dec 29, 2008
  3. nikomax

JimmiG

I was down to <70MB on XP after having tweaked it. However it turns out some of the Acer utilities and background apps are really heavy on RAM usage, so that was essentially doubled after I installed them. They're pretty useful though (extra touchpad features, on-screen display when toggling LAN, adjusting audio etc.). I also created a 40MB semi-permanent RAM drive for my Firefox profile (to stop the annoying SSD access pauses when typing URLs etc.).

Still, the system is surprisingly responsive with only 512MB RAM. I tend to only keep 5 or less windows open even on my desktop system, which obviously helps. A 6-cell battery actually feels like a more important upgrade than more RAM at this time.

JimmiG, Dec 30, 2008
  4. nikomax

carlos_arias1

wen i turn it on, and just leave it on windows and not launching anything else it takes from 300 to 400 mb of ram, both of the acer's actually, and i havent install no more programs that the one it came from factory

carlos_arias1, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question