Ram Uprade on A150L

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by GsRb0i, Aug 31, 2008.

1. GsRb0i

GsRb0i

Hey guys im upgrading my ram on my A150L XP 120HDD model. I have a question on the last step of the Ram upgrade guide. Do I have to remove the daughter board thats on top of the hard drive in order to lift up the mobo? I just finished unscrewing the wifi card and don't know what to do next

GsRb0i, Aug 31, 2008
  2. GsRb0i

hmraao

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly less short answer: You need to free the main board from the ssd/hdd connector, in order to flip it over. The easiest way to do that is to remove the ssd/hdd, and to do that you need to remove the smaller secondary board which covers one of the screws securing the ssd/hdd.

hmraao, Aug 31, 2008
  3. GsRb0i

GsRb0i

I was afraid of that I just removed one of the three screws holding the daughter board but stripped the other three screws. I swear these screws are so damn hard to get out so far I have stripped the left most battery screw, rightmost screw holding the wifi down. and now these two screws securing the daughter board. Its not like im using cheap screw drivers either I bought a nice set from frys and they still strip. Anyone else facing this most trouble upgrading ram? I had to take it to a shop to drill out the other two screws with a screw extractor but i don't want to keep taking it to them for these two screws.

GsRb0i, Aug 31, 2008
  4. GsRb0i

hmraao

It's hard to tell from the small pic and description, but the set I used looks a lot like these the only difference being that my set has 2 crosshead and 4 straight, whereas those from Frys have three of each. All but one of the screws in the AAO take a #0 crosshead and the other takes a #1. Dealing with such small components can be a problem:(

hmraao, Aug 31, 2008
  5. GsRb0i

GsRb0i

I bought these http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-Interchangeable/dp/B000UJL8AM because the place where I took it Friendly computers that drilled out the other two screws were using them. Told me they got them at frys. I dont want to keep going back over there since I already came back twice for them to drill out the other two screws free of charge btw. They told me it was a nice laptop but the screws are some of the most easily stripped they have come encountered with. I guess I have to take it to another place to get these two screws from the daughter board out. =( Unless someone can recommend some good screw extractors?

GsRb0i, Aug 31, 2008
  6. GsRb0i

GsRb0i

I have a set of those also those are jewelers screwdrivers I don't recommend using them because you can't get a good grip on them so you will not apply enough torque to get the screw out and end up stripping them.

GsRb0i, Aug 31, 2008
  7. GsRb0i

hmraao

Correction: Apologies, my previous statement
    should, of course, have read, "all but one of the screws in the AAO involved in the RAM upgrade procedure take a #1 crosshead and the other takes a #0."
    As for
    All I can say is that they worked for me.

hmraao, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question