ram upgrade on A531 running OSX?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by oVerboost, Oct 21, 2010.

1. oVerboost

oVerboost

I have a Acer Aspire One 531 netbook running OSX 10.5.8 Leopard. I am not 100% sure what it has been installed with, thinking VoodooKernal if that is correct or not. Anyway, what I want to do is upgrade the RAM to make it a little quicker, to the max allowed 2GB. Can I use this RAM here: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pny-pc2-6 ... 3-pdt.html or what other RAM should I use?

And finally, and probably more importantly, is it simply a case of plugging the new RAM in and then going to osx86 tools and selecting Modify this Mac and then Set RAM Info or will it find the new RAM automatically? Will I have any boot issues?

oVerboost, Oct 21, 2010
  2. oVerboost

oVerboost

Okay well I bit the bullet and decided to buy the mac memory anyway, 2GB for £49 which I thought seemed fairly reasonable. Removed the old 1GB RAM module and put the new 2GB one in - started it up and it booted into OSX fine and on About this Mac it shows the new 2GB module installed. Sweet! For anyone interested the RAM I used was PNY 2GB 800MHz/667MHz SODIMM for iMac, Macbook and Macbook Pro. :)

oVerboost, Oct 21, 2010
Ask a Question