RAID0(dbl SSD performance) or RAIDJBOD with SSD/HDD+SDcard

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jackluo923, Aug 30, 2008.

1. jackluo923

jackluo923

Your screenshot is very confusing. The 1st one showed that both C:\ and SD Disk had 99 or 100% free disk. The 2nd screenshot then showed the C:\ being occupied by the OS. Are these two screenshots from different computers?

Anyways.. in the first screenshot, you had the "New Striped Volume..." menu open. What happends if you click "New Striped Volume..."? Normally, the dynamic disk wizard should pop up if you click that.

jackluo923, Sep 3, 2008
  2. jackluo923

not4us

I'm trying to follow the instructions in the first post, however, after converting both disks (SDD and SD Card) to Dynamic disks successfully (and having already made the SD Card appear as a fixed disk) I'm stuck trying to create the stripped volume as the C: drive (SSD) only has 7 mb "of un-partitioned space. DO I need to resize the C" Partition? I tried expanding the SSD Dynamic disk but I get an error saying that it's not possible to extend boot drives.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

not4us, Sep 3, 2008
  3. jackluo923

hade777

hi everybody.... this is my first post

i use ewf method im happy with the performance, but some feel angry, cause need to -commit after instaled new program...

my question is...

how is

ssd 8gb + sd card 4gb + sd card 4gb

can boost again the performance? or same performance with ssd8gb + sd card 4gb?

thx boss.....

hade777, Sep 5, 2008
  4. jackluo923

Rizzo

i tried this too, re-sizing the ssd or repartitioning the ssd is as far as i know the only way. but i you are not able to strip the boot partition i dont see the advantage.

but i am still going to be watching this tread to see if some one can get it running with results similar to ewf performance.

Rizzo, Sep 5, 2008
  5. jackluo923

Thom Holwerda

This seems like a great little trick, but I've got a few questions.

You specifically state to format the SSD as NTFS, but would this work with FAT32 as well? You see, I already have my machine set up as I want it to, so if I convert to NTFS, and then the trick doesn't work because I'm an idiot, I'm stuck with the slow NTFS on my SSD.

The second question: is there any easy way to find out what speed an SD card is? I have a 4GB SDHC card which I'll use here, but I'm not sure what speed it is.

Thanks in advance, guys and girls.

Thom Holwerda, Sep 5, 2008
  6. jackluo923

Thom Holwerda

The reason this isn't working for some of us (incl. myself) here is - I think - that the boot partition (on the SSD) that we're trying to extend onto the SD card as a striped volume is formatted as FAT32. I think it should work with NTFS, but I might be wrong.

Thom Holwerda, Sep 6, 2008
  7. jackluo923

2kmy477

No,I have both the SSD & SDHC formatted w/NTFS,but still when i tried to stripe the volume,only 7mb was available on the SSD but 7.6GB available on the SDHC,I had tried to many times(reinstalled windows multiple times)to no success,someone can help?

2kmy477, Sep 7, 2008
  8. jackluo923

taekwone

so.. as someone stated that this method is faster then others (ewf)?
    so why isn't everyone using this? I am pretty sure everyone including me has extra SD card.

Could someone please provide me a straight answer?
    is this method faster then ewf? when booting and shutting down? when running programs?

I've tried ewf and i really liked it so i re-installed xp and trying to install all the programs i need before i run ewf.
    Since ewf makes ssd as RO.

If someone (please..T.T) answer me with "YES, IT'S FASTER THEN EWF"
    it will be damn great..

taekwone, Sep 9, 2008
  9. jackluo923

Frojd

It's completely different from EWF...
    And the reason as to why not everyone is using it might be that it's not always cake to get it to work, like for me atm. My boot disk seem to be stuck as a dynamic drive with 7,51GB free space, no way of converting it back again. The only thing I can think of now is taking the SSD out, buying an sata adapter, and plug it into my desktop to format...but that is a lot of work! :(

Frojd, Sep 10, 2008
  10. jackluo923

taekwone

Thank you for the reply..

is it safe to say that EWF is more reliable in a way..?
    well, i will just use the EWF method and use SD for extra storage..

Thank you again for the great info.

taekwone, Sep 10, 2008
  11. jackluo923

daymz

I've going to make a backup of my 8GB SSD and 16GB Class-6 SDHC using Acronis, and will definitely try this. This shows a LOT of promise without any drawbacks (like EWF or FBWF). Can hardly wait to try it actually, probably this weekend of early next week.

daymz, Sep 11, 2008
  12. jackluo923

daymz

Seems like someone else is having that problem. Check message dated Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:45 pm by Joe Cain:
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=718&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Unfortunately, no solution to his/your problem was posted. Did you get it fixed by yourself since then ?

Did anyone make this work at all ? Can the author of this thread or anyone else let us know ?

daymz, Sep 11, 2008
  13. jackluo923

daymz

Well, I must say this fails for me as well. Every time I boot the AA1, the Dynamic Volume on the SDHC is offline. I did install the CFADisk micro-drive filter from Hitachi, as per the instructions.

Did the author test this at all??

My guess is that the driver for the SD reader is loaded way too late in the boot process, or maybe it's just that it detects the media only when the logon occurs (and not during boot). In any case, this howto definitely does not work as advertised, at all.

Very disappointing, sorry to say to the author. The idea is nice, but until the SDHC Dynamic Volume gets loaded at boot time, this will not give anything.

daymz, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question