Questions Regarding Installing XFCE In Ubuntu Intrepid

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Andysan, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Andysan

Andysan

Hi all,

I have the 8GB/512MB AAO and love Ubuntu Intrepid, however i feel that the Gnome environment is slowing me down. I am considering installing XFCE, and can't believe that its as simple as:

Anyway, after i do this i understand that i can continue to use Gnome as normal, or select XFCE at the login window. My question is, will i be able to switch between the two every time i boot, and can i continue to use all of my Gnome apps, AWN and expect everything to continue to function as normal? Should i get better performance or will having to load the Gnome libraries slow everything down as much as if i were just using Gnome?

Also, anyone know what size an XFCE install is please?

Cheers!

Andysan, Feb 26, 2009
  2. Andysan

Zetsubou

xfce install is about 135 mb. Yes you can using gnome normally and u can switch between them at login(you dont have to restart into a seperate one ) By gnome apps i assume you mean your programs then yes xfce is just a window manager. YOu can use your gnome themes if you want to. I have both gnome and xfce install and i notice a difference between switching windows but not really in overall performance maybe that does have something to do with having both.
    I would love two be able to tweak the **** out of ubuntu so it loaded really fast and was fast in system, for me xp was still the fastest vs ubuntu vista and windows 7.

Zetsubou, Feb 26, 2009
  3. Andysan

Andysan

Sweet, thanks for the tips dude - check it out!

[​IMG]

I lurve Linux! :lol:

Andysan, Feb 28, 2009
Ask a Question