Question: Sound card fail in xp and the question of the CPU

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by clouddmc, Sep 19, 2008.

1. clouddmc

clouddmc

Dear all:

Hi, this is my first post here. I have had two questions so far, one is i cant properly install the sound card in the xp OS, there is always breaking sounds whenever music or sound effect is on. I dont know if it is the conflict between sp2+HD audio driver or something else.

Another question is quite general: i heard the atom is dual core cpu, but i can only see one in the task manager in xp. Did i do something wrong or it is just like this?

Thank you very much everybody. have a nice weekend.

clouddmc, Sep 19, 2008
  2. clouddmc

clouddmc

P.S: i have get every driver up-to-data

clouddmc, Sep 19, 2008
  3. clouddmc

1ne

The atom chips in our laptops are not dual core. Intel plans to release a dual core version of the Atom later this year. Our chips do support Hyper Threading (HT) Technology which can be thought of as "Fake Dual Core". Basically, the processor has a second "virtual" core that allows it to make use of unused portions of the processor, making multitasking much more productive.

Hope that clears that up.

About your sound issue: I haven't had any trouble with sound in XP on my One. Even when I was using the 8GB SSD (which is slower than molasses in the winter time) I didn't have trouble with "broken" sound. Are you useing the SSD or do you have the Hard Drive verstion?

One more question, does your computer seem to be running incredibly slow? I mean S L O W. Like it takes a few MINUTES to start programs or load Windows? If it is, the computer may be running in "PIO only" mode which brings even the fastest computers to their knees and can cause choppy, broken sound. You can check by going to Start > Run > [type] devmgmt.msc (device manager should open) > [expand] IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. This is where it gets a little tricky. I have the SSD version, so my hard drive is on the "Secondary IDE Channel". If you have the SATA HDD version (120GB) then yours may be under "Primary IDE Channel". Basically, I would just check both. If it says "Not Applicable" under the advanced settings tab, then you need the other one. So, in my case, the next step is to: [double click] "Secondary IDE Channel" > [click] Advanced Settings (tab at the top). Now look under "Current Transfer Mode" for device 0. It should say something like "Ultra DMA Mode 5". If it says PIO something, then you are in PIO mode which is your problem.

Let me know if you are in PIO and I will give you instructions on how to get back into Ultra DMA Mode.

-Ray

1ne, Sep 19, 2008
  4. clouddmc

clouddmc

Thanks for your response =)

for the first question, you are right, and what is more, i have tried install another copy of windows xp, there is another cpu appears in the task manager ---i guess this is the HT you mentioned.

for the second question, after i install the iso from "driver and download " section of this forum, there isnt anything wrong with the sound card.

Hence, maybe the first copy of windows is not quite right i think.

But even i tried re-write the DMI information in the bios, i still cant activate the windows xp. i have to find another way out...

My AOA150 is HD 120g one =)

clouddmc, Sep 19, 2008
  5. clouddmc

1ne

What problem are you having with it activating? Mine activated without a hitch. Are you using the original CD Key?

I'm glad your sound is working properly now. It was probably a bad driver. I am using the sound drivers from this site as well.

-Ray

1ne, Sep 20, 2008
Ask a Question