Question:Building laptop from used parts

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by skycloud, Mar 14, 2016.

1. skycloud

skycloud

I have a heavily used,old Dell laptop and it is showing signs of age such as USB etc. sometimes not working, etc. So I wanted to get a used Asus G74SX but the sellers won't ship it outside the US. I saw some sellers offering G74SX mainboards and other parts and also the 2670 processor. I don't need a new but less powerful laptop that would be just good enough for office use, so I would like to build one myself as the desired model is practically unavailable. I don'thave the resources for a new high power laptop but have the other parts such as HDD,SSD and DRAM. Would it be possible to built a functional G74SX by using those mainboards etc. just like home building a desktop or an embedded computer? If not right away, are there any workarounds? Thanks very much.

skycloud, Mar 14, 2016
  2. skycloud

Jonah_JJ

I wouldn't get too hung up on needing a specific mainboard like your Asus G74SX. Instead, if you want to go cheaply try looking at bare bones kits. Generally this is the parts of the laptop that you don't have and you would be able to put your HDD, SDD and DRAM in it (the DRAM might be a little tricky since you have an older computer). Essentially decide what kind of processor power you want and then get a bare bones kit that fits. Here are some to look at: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31

Jonah_JJ, Mar 15, 2016
Ask a Question