Question about Upgrading Memory and Hard Drive (SD Card)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by markw10, Jul 29, 2008.

1. markw10

markw10

I want to get an Acer Aspire One and have been doing a lot of research but am confused about a couple things.
    I see there are versions that have 512MB of memory and versions with 1GB of memory and it seems the memory is built in on-board but there's a slot to add memory.
    How much memory can be added? Can the 1GB be upgraded to 1.5 with a 512MB module or can only a 1GB module be added for 1GB?
    What type of module do I need to add?
    As for storage space. I know there's a version with a 120GB hard drive but I am interested in the version with 8GB SSD since I prefer SSD. I know there's a media card reader but am I right that there's also a SD slot for an SD Card to use as a '2nd storage device'. Is there a specific SD Card I need and what sizes of SD Card can it take?
    I'm new to this and tried to do some reading but am confused about these two things. I appreciate any help.

markw10, Jul 29, 2008
  2. markw10

janss

There's 512 MB of RAM soldered to the One's motherboard, and one slot for SO-DIMM 533 MHz DDR2 standard memory. The SO-DIMM slot supports DIMM's up to 1 GB, so it is possible to get maximum of 1.5 GB of RAM on the One. There's not yet certain information on what the RAM setup on the 1 GB / HDD model is. Apparently, the 1 GB model also has 512 MB soldered and then an extra 512 MB on the DIMM slot.

The One has 2 memory card readers, one multi-support reader and other as "media expansion slot". The multi-support reader acts as a normal card reader, and the other on the left hand side of the one adds (merges) the inserted SD(HC) card to the storage space of the SSD. Offical Acer information says the One supports maximum of 8 GB memory cards on both slots, but users have reported successfully using some 16 GB cards also.

And what's interesting is that Acer tells the One does not support SDHC cards, but actually everything over 2 GB is SDHC.......

janss, Jul 29, 2008
  3. markw10

rory

Have a read of the forums before you decide on the SSD. If you want to use Windows on it, I would advise against the SSD. It is good at large files, but things like installing which involves copyng loads of files take hours and hours..
    Its a choice you make.
    Rory

rory, Jul 29, 2008
  4. markw10

osdude

it took me 52 minutes to install a vLited Vista on the Intel SSD with 1.5GB RAM. After additional tweaking, it actually runs really well, but I wouldn't open Photoshop :D

osdude, Jul 29, 2008
  5. markw10

rory

52 Minutes? :O
    Mine took about 2 and a half hours, and it too was vLited, about 950Mb ISO.
    Rory

rory, Jul 29, 2008
  6. markw10

osdude

619MB A lot of things taken out - lots. USB HDD rather than a stick, but I thought the bottleneck would have been the SSD?

that was supposed to be 82 minutes :(

osdude, Jul 29, 2008
  7. markw10

rory

But still, 82 minutes isn't bad. My XP took longer than that sadly..
    Rory

rory, Jul 29, 2008
  8. markw10

osdude

I used a WD USB HDD, which has better R/W speed than my USB stick, but I thought the bottleneck would be the SSD.

osdude, Jul 30, 2008
Ask a Question