Question about Deal Extreme Touchscreen Kit

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Super_COW, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Super_COW

Super_COW

Hey, I was contemplating doing a touchscreen mod to my acer (Vista, 160GB, 1GB), but the continually increasing prices (on ebay, it went from ~90+25 shipping to ~120+25 shipping) has turned me off from it.
    That was until I found this touch screen at dealextreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18490, but I have a couple of concerns before I go about doing this:
    first, it's designed for asus, but is there a reason that it would not work for the aa1?
    second, has anyone recently received shipment from deal extreme, i've read a couple of posts on this forum regarding the cracked panels as a result of poor shipping, but the company seems to be improving (company's statement that it was changing shipment, & recent shipments seemed to come in a box (on the deal extreme forum...not sure how accurate this is)
    third, does the package appear to be a solderless design with another usb output so i won't lose the camera?

Thanks, I've really enjoyed going through these forums, the comments have been mostly really insightful!

Super_COW, Dec 29, 2008
  2. Super_COW

Super_COW

Alright, after looking at pictures people posted of their acer mods and looking at the wire lengths, I've decided to try this out. With shipping and conversion it came to just under 70$ CDN. I'll let you'all know how it goes

Super_COW, Jan 7, 2009
  3. Super_COW

shoxell

I have the same question.
    Please do let us know how it is.

shoxell, Jan 30, 2009
  4. Super_COW

deresser

Has anyone ordered the Touch Screen from DealExtreme recenty?
    Would you be so kind to post your experiences? Is it still packaged that bad?

deresser, Aug 1, 2009
  5. Super_COW

Tsub

I got a touchscreen from DX, its packaged with heaps of bubblewrap + it is in a box now.

Anyway it is working fine, and it was very cheap too!

Tsub, Aug 4, 2009
  6. Super_COW

deresser

Well, that sounds like an improvement.
    Probably I'll order one too then, it is very cheap indeed.
    Thanks for letting us know.

deresser, Aug 4, 2009
  7. Super_COW

noduck

noduck, Aug 6, 2009
  8. Super_COW

CalcMan

Looking for confirmation on a working install for the DealExtreme touch screen sku18490 on an 8.9" aao.

Thanks

CalcMan, Sep 15, 2009
  9. Super_COW

Ceno

How is the performance on this thing? Is it as responsive as the touchpad for instance? ~35€ is a hell of a deal, but if the performance isn't very good... it's not really worth it I guess. Any comment on this would be tremendously appreciated, I'm really considering buying it.

Ceno, Oct 6, 2009
  10. Super_COW

cv65user

i am also interested in this one if it has internal bluetooth included. so has anyone tried this one ?

cv65user, Oct 25, 2009
Ask a Question