Putting Windows XP on a Acer Aspire One 725

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by wastingtime, Aug 10, 2014.

1. wastingtime

wastingtime

I'm trying to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 and Windows XP on this laptop. In answer to the question: Why XP? I want to run Flight Simulator X and that requires 512 MB video memory in Windows 7 but only 256 MB in XP. The laptop's integrated video memory is frozen at 256 MB.

I have a partition ready to go for XP but when I boot the XP disk using a USB CD-ROM, I always get a BSOD after it copies the files, the disk spins down and it says Windows is starting. The code is this:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I Googled others having this problem and going into the BIOS and switching the SATA contoller to IDE/ATA mode fixes it for most people, but not for me, I still get the same BSOD after doing this.

Further digging revealed this article on how to use a program called nLite to integrate third party drivers into the XP installation and make a new bootable ISO file. The article is meant to show how to boot it with USB stick but I have a USB CD-RW so I just burn the new ISO file to disk.

I'm inserting what I think is the correct driver: AHCI_Intel_8.9.0.1023_XPx86_a.zip, inside is an .inf file with the same name used in the example, but it must not be the right one because I am still getting the BSOD. Does anybody have any suggestions, or could point me to the right driver? Or knows if it is even possible to put XP on this laptop? Thanks.

EDIT: Turns out FSX works ok in Windows 7. Still interested though.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    wastingtime, Aug 10, 2014
Ask a Question