Putting Linux on the 6 cell battery version

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by scottro, Sep 28, 2008.

1. scottro

scottro

I hope this is the right forum for this. It struck me as possibly fitting into a few different categories, so mods, if you feel it's in the wrong place, please move it.

I'm wondering.... like many folks, I'm waiting for the 6 cell version to become available. As far as I can tell, in the US it's only coming with Windows XP. My plan is to simply wipe it and install Linux. Are many of you planning the same thing, or is one of the main reasons so many people want it because it comes with XP?

scottro, Sep 28, 2008
  2. scottro

melhiore

Depends.

There is a lot of people who do not know Linux good enough to install this system and they are happy with WinXP. There are others - like you - who wants to install alternative operating system and enjoy it. I do not thing the reason people wants AA1 is because it's coming with WinXP. Even if you can buy Linux version there is nothing to stop you from installing XP or Vista. I believe the real reason people want AA1 it's the size - and size matters as we all probably know :)

melhiore, Sep 28, 2008
  3. scottro

stevekl

i've got my preorder in at CDW (hopefully shipping soon...). The first thing im going to do when I get it is to wipe xp and put ubuntu on it.

stevekl, Sep 28, 2008
  4. scottro

JerichoJ

I might leave the windows partition just in case wine can't handle something.

But yes, my intention is to get Linpus as the default OS when I want to quick work and shut back down, and Ubuntu's netbook remix for when I need a heavier OS.

JerichoJ, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question